Old 10-18-2013, 01:16 PM
cricket_iscute

Yes, in my experience it is absolutely true that fmq on a vertical bobbin machine works better and is easier. Although I have tried fmq on dozens of machines, I prefer my Singer 301 with the feed dogs down. The Singer 15 machines are pretty good also (dogs down).

The only horizontal bobbin machine I really like fmq on is a Janome, pretty much all of the Janomes. They say their bobbins are jam proof and I haven't had one jam yet. In my experience, some of the Horizons (Janome 7700) are good for fmq and some are not. I was about to buy one when I discovered this and so bought a different Janome. The dealer could not make it work. I've had no problems with other Janomes.

I have done thread painting both with and without feet. I use the Octi-hoop with no foot. Singer says the 301 was designed to be used without a foot, but either way works on it. I also love my Janome for thread painting.

BTW, almost any machine can machine quilt with the addition of a vintage Stoppax darning foot which you can usually find on ebay for about $60.

Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 10-18-2013 at 01:25 PM.