Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Candace

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Candace,

Ah heck, maybe cos I'm being stubborn and trying to see something for myself. I know others have different opinions and lots more experience. That's kind of the thing, I get experience by doing things. So, maybe I'm having to prove it to myself.

Quickie question for FMQ'ers, what foot do you use?

Nother quickie question; what the difference between a "scant" seam and a regular seam?

Joe

For FMQing you use a darning or "hopping" foot. There are spring needles and darning springs available for machines that don't have feet that will work, such as rotary machines etc. I don't use these as I would end up with a needle in my finger for sure. I have a couple and have used them. They're not for me.

I'm not even sure a FMQ foot is available for left homing machines as the needle would hit any regular, needle centered darning foot. So, this may be a machine that would have to use a spring needle.

A scant 1/4" is basically a 1/4" seam minus a thread width or two threads width. The thread used making the stitching actually takes up space in the seam when pressed, so to get an accurate 1/4" final seam, many quilters use a scant measurement. A consistent and precise scant 1/4" is necessary for many patterns and blocks.