Thread: New Year
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 05:54 AM
janRN

I so looked forward to retirement--was a full time nurse for 40+ years, retired at 59 1/2. At first, I felt lost--like I was no longer a "contributing member of society". After about 3 weeks I realized "hey! I contributed now it's my time." Retiring was the best decision I have ever made. I work 1 day per week in a physician's office (my fabric money LOL) but for the first time in a long time I have no set schedule, my blood pressure is normal, and I no longer grind my teeth when I sleep. I've also learned to cook! We always had quick, after-work kind of meals; now I'm doing more involved recipes and lots of crock-pot cooking so I can sew. If chores need done I do them early and can sew all day. If I can put off the chores, well, there's always tomorrow.

The best advice I rec'd was to give myself a few weeks or a month to decide what, if anything, I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Don't jump into a lot of committments until you think about them. You don't have to do anything you don't want to! Enjoy!!