New Year

Old 12-31-2013, 05:01 AM

Red face New Year

Today is my last day of employment, and I am thinking, what! I can't use the word retirement because I
can't imagine not working outside the home. I have a clinic in mind to see about doing volunteer work 3 hrs a week being able to sew or take a nap when I want to. Some of you have a routine, hopefully you will share your strategy.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:58 AM

Enjoy. Take your time transisitioning. Experiment. Do not overcommit yourself. Take your time. Enjoy. And besides quilting, learn to do other things just for you.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 AM

I sew, read, do counted cross stitch, quilt, watch tv, spend time on the computer, do a few Bible studies online and clean the house some times..but I never take naps.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 AM

I get up when I wake up -- go for a walk (on the treadmill in the winter, outside in the summer). Work in the house in the morning (or spray weeds in the summer). Quilt most afternoons. Spend lots of time with Mom and grandkids. Life is good!!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 AM

That first 2 weeks after I retired were very hard for me. Can't explain it, just felt off some how, Like is'nt there something I should be doing, or somewhere I should be? It was hard doing what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. It was like I had been programed. That was 5 years ago. Now my house is spotless, laundry done, I watch old movies, football, and I am in my sewing room just about everyday. I never take naps either. Just take it slow and live each day to its fullest!!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 AM

I stay busy but I do take naps --
Old 12-31-2013, 11:15 AM

I'm like MaryStoaks, but sometimes I'm so busy I don't have time to take the naps. LOL Don't set an alarm clock, and play things by ear even if you can't carry a tune.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM

I was laid off for 3 years , if that was like retirement I do not like it! I did not feel needed except to clean, do dishes and cook meals
Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM

I dream of retirement, but I bet I would make the mistake warned of by a poster here and over-commit myself out of restlessness to a bunch of things I will have to perform regardless of how committed I am to them.

I think the best advice is to give yourself time to adjust before you end up committed to a whirlwind of stupid activities (some undoubtedly foisted on you by people who are too busy working to to them) which will end up making retirement just more work.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:57 AM

It took quite a while after I retired to realize that when I woke up later than usual, I wasn't going to be late for work. I quilt, sew, bake, and try to keep house. I volunteer by knitting stocking caps for the newborns at the hospital, and for the Goodfellow Shoe Fund. Also make baby blankets, quilts, or afghans for the local Women's Resource Center. We belong to an antique car club and a camping group which we enjoy also. There is always plenty to do. I love to read as well.