View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 05:53 AM
maviskw

I have my iron plugged into a power strip hanging on the wall near the ironing board. My ironing light is also plugged into this strip, and it is always ON. I just turn off the strip. If the light is on, the iron is on. BUT - my iron is stored in an iron holder near where the ironing board is hung on the wall. I finally figured out that if someone wants to use the light for another reason, the iron will go on even if it is in the holder. (Lucky for irons that go off after a few minutes. That has happened at least once.) So now when I put the iron in the holder, I make sure the control on the iron is OFF.

My sewing machine is plugged into a strip also, but I am more leery about that. After I turn off the strip, I unplug the machine, but not by the wall plug. I pull the plug that connects the cord to the machine. It is right handy. A lot easier than trying to find that wall plug.

Another thing I could do is turn off a switch that controls all the plugs in a room. I know that lightening can jump that, too, but some of those have surge protectors on them.