View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 09:48 AM
Somerset Val

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
I am getting ready to mark a special quilt (gift). It is my first appliqué quilt and the background is white on white fabric. I have several marking pens/pencils, and I'm so embarrassed to admit this, but I don't know how they are supposed to be removed. My second problem is that I don't remember what fabric I used. I cut a small piece of all the white fabrics that I have and marked them with the markers and washed them (pined together), but most held onto the markings. I tried a simple pencil--wouldn't wash out. Four of the pencils are chalk and white. The others are labeled 1) "blue water soluble pencil"--didn't wash out, 2) "Quilters Pencil" and is silver but writes much like a pencil--didn't wash out but faded, and 3) fine point Mark-B-Gone pen--didn't wash out. Has anyone used any of these pencils/pens, and how do you get them off of your quilt? I feel so stupid since I've been quilting for 25 years, but haven't quilted my own quilts, I've always been afraid that the marks wouldn't wash out. My DH said why didn't you label them--duh where was he when I started my collection? Thanks for any advise you can offer.
Sue
I can't help you with your present problem but, in future, try Frixion ballpoint pens; they come in an assortment of colours and are brilliant. When finished quilting, just hover a steam iron over the lines and they disappear immediately - and don't come back!