View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 AM
DebbE

I'm with Sewnoma - I bought Billy cabinets and the ones on each end have glass doors. I store TONS of fabric on those shelves, I love that the shelves are adjustable, and they hold a ton of weight in fabric. For the long term, its perfect. Cabinets are the way to go. I've had dressers, and I never saw what was in the bottom of each drawer. You can get the short Billy cabinets and put a board across the top from one end to the other and you can have a cutting surface, ironing surface and display area, too. It's basically what I did on one end of my room - took old kitchen base cabinets & put one on each end, and hubby built in shelving (heavy duty with 2x4's) in the center to hold the large plastic totes that hold fabric I don't have displayed in the center. Put a Home Depot countertop across the top from one end to the other and hung a fabric curtain over the shelves in the center. Put the curtain up with Velcro, so it comes down when I need to clean out, or look what I have (or wash it). Cheap, cheap way to do things and since its painted the same color as the Billy cabinets (the other side of the room), it looks wonderful. You can get kitchen cabinets (used) for very little in Craigslist - but these came out of our kitchen when we re-did the whole room.