Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
dresser or cabinet? >

dresser or cabinet?

dresser or cabinet?

Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 PM

Default dresser or cabinet?

I am planning on a sewing room make over this summer. I would like to have a closed fabric storage plan. I was thinking about getting a dresser with deep drawers...I wanted an old one I could paint gloss white.

But then I started thinking maybe a cabinet with doors like maybe an old armoire (sp?) might be a better choice?

What have you guys found that gives the best use of space and still can be closed up (for aesthetics and also to protect the fabric from UV)?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:40 PM

I like cabinets myself. My DH made me some that are 13 inches deep, about 6 1/2 foot tall, works great for putting your yardage on foam board or ruler fold. I keep extra batting on top. Doors have peg board on top half Some of them have small metal baskets I got from harbor freight. My LA is set up I front of these cabinets, I keep all those little things I need while using my LA in them. I also have hooks holding my embroidery hoops, templates, specialty rulers, patterns, and a whole lot of extra Stuff. You know we can never have to much extra or back up Stuff. LOL
Old 04-10-2014, 03:50 PM

I would vote for cabinet. Have used both and preferred the cabinet. It had moveable shelves going for it.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:55 PM

I like the cabinet idea. Adjustable shelves, mine has a couple of drawers for books and patterns. But, what will work best FOR YOU?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:35 PM

I don't know! I like how dressers are split do you have less stacking on each other, but it seems like there might be more room in a cabinet...

My room is small. I want it to be pretty to work in, and also to be able to get stuff stashed away neatly when it becomes a back up guest room (which is only occasionally).
Old 04-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

I have mine in a wooden cupboard with shelves/doors and I love it. I keep my batts on top.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:46 PM

I don't know! I like how dressers are split do you have less stacking on each other, but it seems like there might be more room in a cabinet...

My room is small. I want it to be pretty to work in, and also to be able to get stuff stashed away neatly when it becomes a back up guest room (which is only occasionally).
Old 04-11-2014, 01:27 AM

I like the cabinets, just don't get deep shelves (a of of wasted space)
Old 04-11-2014, 03:16 AM

I have an armoire in my sewing room which I love. My neighbor was getting rid of a dresser so I took that. I used it for awhile and stored patterns and tools in it and put a small ironing board on top. I found it took up too much room and the things stored were things I never used so I took it out. Itried storing fabric but then you really couldn't see what you had like the armoire shows. good luck.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:44 AM

I like my cabinet, works well for me.