Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
dresser or cabinet? >

dresser or cabinet?

dresser or cabinet?

Old 04-11-2014, 03:52 AM

I vote for cabinet. Material and the little things get lost in a dresser. I've ended up with doubles or triples of things because I lost them in the dresser. LOL
Old 04-11-2014, 05:16 AM

I am living with a combination of cabinet and dresser and metal shelving from Sam's. The shelving was a bright idea for the last sewing room makeover and living with it has been interesting. Among other things the shelving does, it holds up my design wall.

So, I keep some of my fabrics in very large, opaque bins on those shelves and grab a bin when I am thinking about a project. I sit down on the floor and happily create a huge mess. When I've made my choices, the bins go back on the shelves and a combination of clips and little s hooks start to work. I hang lots of stuff off the shelving to keep track of it and keep it unwrinkled and to look at to make sure I am going in the right direction with the project.

Vertical space rules! If you have more hints to maximize vertical space, please let me know. I am addicted.

Tried to keep it shorter.

Pat
Old 04-11-2014, 05:29 AM

Okay I have an armoire because we already had it and I am CHEAP!! I would get some thing that I could use the top of, yes I can store a lot in it but if it was lower I could use the top to cut or iron on. Am so looking for a buffet instead. Just my opinion but I think a re-design my be in my future...
Old 04-11-2014, 05:33 AM

I would go with the cabinet/armoire. Digging items and fabric out of drawers, I would think would be a hassle and you couldn't see what you had. I would like to have a cabinet for all mine, or should I say cabinets.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:55 AM

I just made this same decision and I opted to go with cabinets. Now if only we could get painters to come out I could put the darn things together!

My reasoning for selecting cabinets over drawers:
- I can put a bin on a shelf and have it act just like a drawer for any "little stuff" I want to store.
- Shelves are adjustable so I can change things around to suit my needs easily
- Shallow drawers use up a lot of extra inches (all the space between and around drawers) so I'd get less storage in the same amount of space. Deep drawers would be difficult to use without burying things.
- I will be able to open my cabinets and see everything at the same time. Drawers, even if I opened them all, I can really only see what's in whatever drawer is on top. (And if I did open them all, it'd probably fall over and squish me, LOL.)

And lastly...between the options I had to choose from, cabinets (with doors) came out cheapest for the most square footage of storage that would fit in the area I have to work with.

I bought Billy bookcases from IKEA, with doors. I bought the deeper ones (about 15" deep) so figuring out how to best put the fabric in there confounded me a little but I just posted here and let the wise folk of QB figure it out for me, LOL.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:13 AM

I prefer a cabinet. My fabric is behind doors away from sun & dust. Has removeable shelves, so capable of using different size shelves. Drawers just didn't work for me.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I don't have room for cabinets. Already have shelves on the wall. I do have a chest of drawers and it just is a pain. I do have movable storage file cabinets that are like drawers. I throw a cover over my fabric so it doesn't get dusty. Since I do my hair in my sewing room always have, hairspray goes all over. I make sure everything is covered. I would love to have an armoire or basic kitchen cabinets would work great for me. Go with cabinets. The chest of drawers has fabric I don't use often at all. Bottom drawers are hard to open.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:25 AM. Reason: language
Old 04-11-2014, 06:30 AM

Definitely a cabinet, especially if your room is small. You can store so much more in the same foot print if you use a tall cabinet. And being able to see all your fabric at once when you open the doors is a huge advantage.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:14 AM

I installed upper kitchen cabinets in the corner of my fabric room for all of my larger prices, and an 8 drawer dresser under them for all of my smaller cuts sorted by color family. I have a separate old oak dresser that I use for all of my mixed content, and non-cotton fabrics, and a huge modular cabinet for fleece, flannel and faux fur. Works for me.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:00 PM

I use an old childhood dresser; it has 4 very deep drawers. Top is covered with glass and I have a small cutting board on top of that. It works well for me and didn't cost anything. I enjoy having something from my childhood in my sewing room.