Old 05-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I buy Moda white or black when Joann's has a 50% off coupon.
Moda...? Do you mean Kona? If not, you're lucky! My Joann's don't carry any Moda at all. I'm the same otherwise though - I keep at least one bolt each of black & of white Kona on hand, buy them at Joann's half-off whenever I get the chance.

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Watch out for yardage differences. A standard bolt measures 15 yards, but many of the bolts at JoAnn's and other places are only 10 yards. Be sure you are comparing 'per yard' cost in your search. I buy Kona solids by the bolt (15 yd) from Hancock's of Paducah.
Kona at Joann's (at least, at MY Joann's) come 8 yards per bolt.

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
How do you indicate that you want to purchase a bolt?
I just say, "I want the whole bolt"! They still measure it to make sure it really is a whole bolt, and the fun part is they usually measure just a little off so by the end the 8th yard is "short" a few inches, making it a remnant, which is half off. Since I'm using a coupon to get it all half-off already, that means I get 7 yards at half off, and one more yard at half off of half off. LOL

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I don't think ANYTHING is standardized throughout the JoAnn's chain. At mine, the end of bolt has to be less than 1/8 of a yard in order to qualify for any discount at all.
Wow...that sucks! Mine is really generous, I guess! I live near 2 and both of them, anything less than a yard (even if by an inch) is a remnant and they never cut it off if you say you'll take it, they just leave it and mark up the cutting slip to show why there's a piece "missing". If I want a yard of a certain fabric and there are multiple bolts out, I will try to find one with less than 2 yards left and ask for 1 yard, just so I can get that last part for cheap. (Sneaky, sneaky!) I love scrappy quilts so I almost ALWAYS take the remnant. The girls there know me and know my tricks and don't mind; they'll even help me figure out which one has the best remnants available. I think they like getting those bolts that only have a couple yards left off of the sales floor, and if I buy the remnant now they don't have to wrap it up and package it later.