View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 06:51 AM
quiltingshorttimer

I think I was reading something else with this entry--sounds like you'd like the quilting action to allow you to move the NEEDLE, not the fabric. With a domestic machine (regular one like you have) if it will allow you to use a darning foot/free motion hopping foot, then you move the fabric as it sews and that is what most of the posters are talking about. Now, if you want to move the machine needle while the fabric stays still--then you are talking about a long arm frame/machine set-up. I suggest you find out if your current machine is able to work with a darning/free motion hopping foot and do some experimenting with it--check out Leah Day's website for ideas. As you become more proficient/involved you may decide to move up to a Janome, etc(by the way, Elna is made by Janome!) with a bigger harp(more space to move that quilt top) programmable needle up/down (my favorite feature), etc. These machines can run into the thousands, btw. At that point , you may want to think about where you are going with your quilting and go to a major show and visit vendors and try out some type of long arm--the sit-down ones seem to be gaining popularity due to price and the sitting option--but keep in mind that they still require you to move the fabric.
So glad to hear you love quilting--I got bitten by the bug 4 years ago and totally addicted. I would add that I learned to free motion quilt on my $90 Brother bought at Walmart and finally moved up to a nicer machine and a year ago bought a used Gammill--which I love!