Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine questions >

sewing machine questions

sewing machine questions

Old 08-23-2014, 09:31 AM

Default sewing machine questions

I'm new to quilting but have a moderate level of sewing experience, in general. I have a Singer Scholastic which I very much like for typical sewing such as clothing etc. I'd like to keep that one, but get one for quilting. I'm so
Unfamiliar with all the different types of machines and what they can do that I'm lost when researching them. I thought that maybe if I listed what if like in a machine you ladies, and gentlemen could help me out.
My wish list: a machine that doesn't need a frame to be used to quilt
(Hopefully there is such a thing)
I don't necessarily need a programmable one, but if that's what it takes to be able to move the needle sideways to quilt then that's fine. I'd like to be able to quilt designs, right now I can only do straight lines.
I don't even know enough to know which questions to ask, lol.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Kelly
Old 08-23-2014, 09:38 AM

You'll want one with a large throat or harp or whatever term is used for the opening to the right of the needle. That way you can stuff quilts through for quilting them. I have the Janome 6600 which has a 9" opening but there are some that have an 11". Other helpful things are a built in walking foot (or one you have to put on will work too) and a "needle down" feature which makes your machine have the needle down when you stop sewing. Happy shopping!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Administrator

start by looking at all the major manufacturers' websites.
you won't find prices there, but you will get an idea of all the features available.
you will also need to set your price limit.
then look around at online dealers - including amazon and the big-box department stores.
that will give you some idea of how much you will need to spend in order to get as many of the desired features as will fit into your budget.
if there are dealers within a reasonable drive i recommend you check them out, too.
walk out if anybody tries to pressure you into buying that day.
walk out if the sales rep talks trash about any of the brands they don't sell.
walk out if they won't let you sit down to test the machine(s) that interest you.
there are many very good brands on the market, so neither brand is an absolute best for everybody.
but if you take your time, you will find the one that's best for you.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 AM

I was in your same boat about 18 months ago. Wanted a new machine, but had no idea what to buy. Do you have local quilt shop? I went to a couple and "test drove" machines. I ended up with a Janome 6600 and I love it - - but never would have thought that I would spend that much money on sewing machine.... very, very, very glad that I did. The only thing that I would change about my machine is the bed is big and it doesn't allow to sew sleeves very well... google sewing machines and check them out good luck have fun
Old 08-23-2014, 11:21 AM

First of all you can quilt on most any machine. You don't need a special machine. I love my Featherweight for piecing and I have a walking foot for it and have quilted lap size quilts and smaller on it. I have a 37 year old Viking that has been my primary machine until recently. That machine has sewn so many miles over the years and it was having some issues where getting replacement parts was an issue that I decided to get a new machine. I did get a Janome 8900qcp with the large throat. That has some nice features in addition to the larger throat/harp area such as needle down, thread cutter however if you don't sew or quilt a lot I'm not sure it would be worth the investment.

If I was just beginning quilting I would use the machine I already have if it is in good working order. Forgo the king size quilts for the quilting part or do quilt as you go method. Make smaller projects and have some fun. See if you really enjoy quilting before investing in a newer expensive machine.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:20 PM

I am glad you have taken up quilting. I hate to keep repeating myself but what is wrong with trying hand quilting. It can be very relaxing and can be totally portable. I don't machine quilt anything but Linus quilts and small items that will be washed constantly like potholders etc. The idea of having to roll up the quilt and force it through the throat of any sewing machine drives me crazy. I occasionally do commissions and the last one I did was a T shirt quilt for a teenage boy. It had to be machine quilted because it would be roughly used and washed to death. My husband had to stand behind my sewing machine set up and hold up the parts of the quilt that was not under my sewing machine needle at the time. It was a full bed size quilt and rather heavy as each T shirt had to be stabilized which only added to the bulk and weight of the quilt. The boy's mother was delighted with the results and said she had another son who would be needing such a quilt. I am praying that she looses my number and changes her mind. I don't think I would attempt that again for double the money. I own several different quilting frames. I have been able to hand quilt a queen size quilt on a 36 inch round frame while watching TV with my family and carrying on conversations. My favorite part of sewing and quilting is handling the fabric and turning it into something beautiful and or useful. Hand quilting full fills both of those.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:54 PM
IQ2

I have a Singer 7470 which is a fairly basic machine. It was a gift when I retired 6 years ago. I took a basic quilting class which happened to be a wonderful group of quilters and I've been repeating the class ever since. My basic Singer machine was enough for me to learn to quilt. That includes piecing and quilting, including free motion quilting. You can probably do it all on your current machine. There are Craftsy classes on quilting, classes in Adult Ed, classes at most of the local quilt shops (including JoAnn's). Give it a try before you even bother investing in a new machine. The basic features should be needle down when you stop, walking foot for quilting. That's about it. Straight stitching is pretty much all you need for piecing.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:03 PM

My first machine is a Singer 15 Clone. Just a old black straight stitch machine. Made in the 40's. It has a bigger harp than most modern machines, is very quiet, very heavy duty. I've got it set up just for the FMQuilting. These are simple durable machines, easy to use and fix yourself. Can be found on Craigslist for a good price. You don't need a fancy computerized machine for quilting.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:30 PM

I would love to become proficient at hand quilting! I actually started the other night and got frustrated right away because I could n't figure out how to properly make the knot and pop it through the fabric to start out! I also didn't know exactly which needles to use and whether I had the right kind. The ones I have weren't clearly marked. I'm hoping the guild will be helpful with that when I get around to joining. I 'love' busy work with my hands, so it's perfect! Thanx for the encouragement. lovetoToTo
Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
I am glad you have taken up quilting. I hate to keep repeating myself but what is wrong with trying hand quilting. It can be very relaxing and can be totally portable. I don't machine quilt anything but Linus quilts and small items that will be washed constantly like potholders etc. The idea of having to roll up the quilt and force it through the throat of any sewing machine drives me crazy. I occasionally do commissions and the last one I did was a T shirt quilt for a teenage boy. It had to be machine quilted because it would be roughly used and washed to death. My husband had to stand behind my sewing machine set up and hold up the parts of the quilt that was not under my sewing machine needle at the time. It was a full bed size quilt and rather heavy as each T shirt had to be stabilized which only added to the bulk and weight of the quilt. The boy's mother was delighted with the results and said she had another son who would be needing such a quilt. I am praying that she looses my number and changes her mind. I don't think I would attempt that again for double the money. I own several different quilting frames. I have been able to hand quilt a queen size quilt on a 36 inch round frame while watching TV with my family and carrying on conversations. My favorite part of sewing and quilting is handling the fabric and turning it into something beautiful and or useful. Hand quilting full fills both of those.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:35 PM

Thank you, Ann. I will keep my eyes open for one. I love old things, especially when they're useful! I love the nostalgia! That would make me very happy. Although, what exactly do you mean by Singer 'clone'? I want to make sure that if I get an old one like that I get the right kind. of
Originally Posted by ann31039 View Post
My first machine is a Singer 15 Clone. Just a old black straight stitch machine. Made in the 40's. It has a bigger harp than most modern machines, is very quiet, very heavy duty. I've got it set up just for the FMQuilting. These are simple durable machines, easy to use and fix yourself. Can be found on Craigslist for a good price. You don't need a fancy computerized machine for quilting.