View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 07:02 AM
margecam52

Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
My friend has a Gammill that she bought new about 15 years ago. She quilts for people in her shop. I have noticed the last few quilts she has done for me have not been of the same quality. Could her machine need a tune up or is it getting old? Thanks for your thoughts.
Could be a number of things...but, yes...machines need maintenance like any equipment. I do my own maintenance...at least once a month...I clean the tension assembly, I clean and oil the bobbin hook/race area (besides the light cleaning with bobbin changes), change needles every other quilt (more if I hear that Pft, pft of a burr on the needle). Every 6 months, I remove any removable covers and check inside the machine...they can get a tiny speck of lint/thread in them and wow, you just won't get good tension, no matter what you do).

If the work is less than she used to do...she may be very busy, especially this time of year. My hubby is my helper...well sorta... I unzip the quilt from the frame when I have about half the first area done...if he says, "That looks really nice," I'm happy... if he says, "It will do," it's time to rip out and try again, lol.
Hubby will lift the machine off the carriages for me whenever I feel my stitches in automated mode are not quite right. I then clean & lubricate the wheels, and clean the encoders & the poles on the frame.

I do know that if you are swamped with quilts that have a deadline (holidays)...you tend to rush some. I didn't do that this year...I had a cutoff of Dec 15th (hubby's birthday). I got the last quilt done Dec 10th...and had 4 due after Christmas if I had to...well, three of those got done...and the 4th is on the machine...will be done Monday. In between, I've been monogramming scarves & a couple jackets. If you are not happy with the quality of the stitches, let the longarmer know...if you didn't tell her what you want on the top ("just do something nice."), then you are leaving the choice to the quilter. If you have something in mind...find and print a pic of what you would like...bring it with the top.