Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do Longarms decline in quilting quality? >

Do Longarms decline in quilting quality?

Do Longarms decline in quilting quality?

Old 12-20-2014, 05:53 AM

I am a longarmer specializing in custom quilting---very few pantographs. As such, I can pretty much assure you that it is NOT the machine. Burnout is a huge factor, and being the perfectionist that I am, when I reach a point where I dread starting another quilt, it's TIME OUT. My customers are very understanding when I tell them they'll have to wait a while. For example, last year this time, I was quilting right up to the middle of December because customers wanted quilts for Christmas presents. No more. This year, I stopped taking quilts at the end of September, finished up the backlog at the end of October, and took a break. No more customer quilts until middle of January. I see no point in sacrificing quality.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:16 AM

To answer your question about whether the machine may need a tune-up...Yes, it could need some adjusting and small parts do wear out and need replacing....BUT as far as them 'getting old' ... not sure on that point. These are industrial quilting machines that are meant to work for YEARS! 5? 10? 15? 20? 25? Who knows?

I agree with everyone who mentioned that the LA quilters themselves have good and bad days; LA quilting is hard on the body; and LA quilters, unfortunately, don't have replaceable parts!

I'm wondering what you mean by 'has not been the same quality'.

Is it the stitch quality? Thread type or thread colors? Quilting design choices? ?????
How have things changed?

Besides possible issues with the machine or the longarm quilter personally, there are other variables that affect stitch quality. The type and quality of batting chosen along with the type and quality of fabric used to make the top and back also affect the quality of the quilting stitches.

Have you mentioned any of your concerns to her? She may have more information than any of us can provide.

Nan
Old 12-20-2014, 11:03 AM

The other thing that can very easily affect anyone doing custom freehand work is stress.

Stress destroys creativity. I had a friend's quilt this fall for close to 3 months. She gave it to me right after my DH's accident. The quilt was beautiful and right up my alley. I know that under normal circumstances, I'd have had tons of ideas. Instead I stared at it, doodled stuff and came up with nothing. Nothing at all. I finally broke out of it in early December and got the quilt to her this week.

If your LAer is overwhelmed by how much work she has or other things in her life, she may not be producing the work she has in the past. Some of it can be compensated with by experience but this sort of work is relatively unique in that you need to be technical enough to be able to manage a machine temper tantrum effectively and quickly but also a creative who can envision then translate that vision to your hands to capture it on a quilt.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:21 PM

I have been following this thread and just have to chime in. This is an expression of my opinion for anyone reading this thread including the one who started the topic. Please be kind and discuss any problems or concerns you might have with services rendered with the longarm professional. It is not fair to them if you have problems with the service they rendered and will not let them know. It may be hard to do but is necessary if you are to continue to use their service or be their friend. I speak from experience as I do longarm quilting for friends and neighbors. Last year before Christmas I did a quilt for a dear neighbor friend. It was a Christmas quilt and I did a Christmas themed pantogram on the quilt. It turned out great and she said she loved it when she came to pick it up. About a month later at our quilt group meeting she asked to talk with me after everyone had left. She wanted me to know that I had put the pattern on her quilt upside down. Oh my goodness I was devastated, she was not complaining at all just wanted me to know so I would not do this on someone else's quilt. I offered to take it out and redo the quilt but she said it was ok and I also offered to refund her payment. I say all this to say that mistakes do happen. So be kind to these hard working quilters and let them know if you are not satisfied. That is much better than airing those concerns here on this public forum where nothing is accomplished with these discussions.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:30 PM

IMHO- these discussions do serve a purpose. They allow us to discuss the problem in a non confrontational manner, work out how to approach the LAQ in this situation, and also help educate each other as to what should be discussed and decided up front, and if we don't get what was discussed, how to gently tell each other when we are unhappy with a job done for us. I spent many years accepting low quality workmanship, and lousy customer service, until the wonderful people here encouraged me to speak up, and how to do it effectively. Not so long ago, if T had been your customer, I would never have told you about the upside down quilting, I just would not hire you again, if anyone else noticed the problem, I would have just told them what you did wrong. That would be so unfair to you, but I did not know that before, and because you took the time to tell us about that incident, you have taught someone else what to do. Sometimes some posts are not real helpful, but usually there is some point in each post that I can apply elsewhere. Not all of us grew up knowing how to be constructive self- advocates. I like our friendly debates. I always learn something from them. (steps down off soap box) Merry Christmas and Happy Whatever holiday you celebrate this time of year!
Old 12-21-2014, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
My friend has a Gammill that she bought new about 15 years ago. She quilts for people in her shop. I have noticed the last few quilts she has done for me have not been of the same quality. Could her machine need a tune up or is it getting old? Thanks for your thoughts.
Could be a number of things...but, yes...machines need maintenance like any equipment. I do my own maintenance...at least once a month...I clean the tension assembly, I clean and oil the bobbin hook/race area (besides the light cleaning with bobbin changes), change needles every other quilt (more if I hear that Pft, pft of a burr on the needle). Every 6 months, I remove any removable covers and check inside the machine...they can get a tiny speck of lint/thread in them and wow, you just won't get good tension, no matter what you do).

If the work is less than she used to do...she may be very busy, especially this time of year. My hubby is my helper...well sorta... I unzip the quilt from the frame when I have about half the first area done...if he says, "That looks really nice," I'm happy... if he says, "It will do," it's time to rip out and try again, lol.
Hubby will lift the machine off the carriages for me whenever I feel my stitches in automated mode are not quite right. I then clean & lubricate the wheels, and clean the encoders & the poles on the frame.

I do know that if you are swamped with quilts that have a deadline (holidays)...you tend to rush some. I didn't do that this year...I had a cutoff of Dec 15th (hubby's birthday). I got the last quilt done Dec 10th...and had 4 due after Christmas if I had to...well, three of those got done...and the 4th is on the machine...will be done Monday. In between, I've been monogramming scarves & a couple jackets. If you are not happy with the quality of the stitches, let the longarmer know...if you didn't tell her what you want on the top ("just do something nice."), then you are leaving the choice to the quilter. If you have something in mind...find and print a pic of what you would like...bring it with the top.