View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Sewnoma

I am a huge fan of "Reveal" brand bulbs, made by GE. They're regular incandescent bulbs but they have a special coating on the glass to filter out yellow so the light looks very "clean" and bright. I don't get eyestrain anymore with these, and the room doesn't have that dingy yellow look at night anymore. I do have a single Ott task lamp in my room but I only use it when it's dark out and I need to see "true" colors. Reveal bulbs aren't quite full-spectrum, so for that task I do use my little Ott lamp; but for general work and sewing and just existing in the house, I adore my Reveal bulbs!

I have some small LED task lighting I use at the sewing machine, but I don't have ANY florescent bulbs in my sewing room. I have very sensitive hearing in the upper ranges and I can HEAR florescent bulbs when they're on if the room is quiet enough, and I prefer to sew in a nearly silent room. That's part of why I can't leave the Ott light on...their bulbs are "noisy" too. Drives me crazy, every time the machine stops I can hear the electric whine of those darn bulbs. It's not loud, just...annoying. Like having tinnitus.

My travel machine whines when it's on, too, but apparently I'm the only person who can hear it. That motivates me to keep the needle moving to drown it out, LOL. Thankfully I got lucky and my main machine is not a whiner!