Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about Ott Lights

Question about Ott Lights

I was going to buy myself an Ott light for Christmas today, but I didn't realize how expensive they are! I had a cheapie floor lamp from Wally World and I trashed it so now I have no good light for hand crafting in the living room. I have an Ott on my sewing machine table so I wanted to get a floor model. They have 25% off at JoAnn's today. Any suggestions as to which one I need? Better place to buy one?

Blog Entries
    I personally refuse to spend that kind of money on an Ott. People rave about the light, but as long as you get the right "temperature" bulb, you can use any standard lamp and get illumination that is just as good. CFLs have temperature ratings on the packages to help you decide what kind and how much light you want. For "working" light, such as quilting, sewing, and handwork, I prefer a temperature rating of about 5000K. This is a bright, true white light, great for detailed work but too harsh for relaxing and watching tv.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Peckish, that is encouraging cause I don't want to spend that kind of money but I really need a lamp!

I'm a real Ott light fan. I have 4 in my sewing room and one in my sitting room for hand sewing. All but one are floor models. I got them all at JoAnn's when they were 50% off. To me, they are worth the expense. My oldest lamp is 15 years old. I replaced the bulb last year and I use the lamps every day. Oh, I also have a folding desk lamp that I take to classes. I am 78 years old and I think I see better with Ott light.

I've had mine well over ten years and love it. I think sometimes they are marked down more at Joann's but not sure. Also check Home Depot on line. They have quite a few.

Thanks. Can you tell me what wattage I should be looking for? There are different ones and I am confused.

As far as wattage, I would think the more the better! See if they would turn on a floor model at JA's.

I agree with Peckish, although I bought an imitation of an Ott floor lamp and the darn thing just quit working for no reason. I love my Ott lights, but they are expensive. It's probably most important to get a good lamp that can accommodate the bright bulbs.

I love Ott lights and have recently seen them marked down - maybe at the craft stores - plus the coupon. Well worth that money, although I wouldn't pay full price.

I have several Ott lights but will not be purchasing more. I have spent hundreds of dollars on their floor lamps alone. I love the lamps but to be honest, the hardware is chintzy and you can't get replacement bulbs from Joanne's or Ott. Hard to believe but true. I also purchased a folding task lamp which flickered so badly at startup that I gave it away( I kept returning them as I originally thought it was defective.it made me feel really sick. The last lamp is own is floor task lamp. It has the big box type plug. The plug keeps sliding in to the plastic box so I can't use it. So, I have spent about $500 on lamps that I can't get bulbs for or don't work right. If you look in Joann's or Lowes you can buy a 25 watt screw Ott bulb for $7-8. I would and will purchase those bulbs to use in other lamps that do not use the proprietary bulbs which are unavailable. I think the bulbs are awesome.

I love my Ott floor stand light: it has the light on the swivel-every-which way-neck, the clip board on a goose-neck, and the magnifier on a goose-neck. I managed to buy it at half-price when a free postage deal was going on. Otherwise, I couldn't have afforded it: I waited almost a year until the half-price/free postage were at the same time. That's also how I bought my wheeled sewing machine luggage piece.

DANGER: all magnifiers should be covered. They can start a fire if the sun hits it just right and shines through the lens. I have a small cloth bag that fits over the Ott magnifier; the rest of my magnifiers are put away in boxes.
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

I love my Ott lights. Have both a table and floor model. They both still have the original bulbs. The table model is at least 15 years old and I bought a replacement bulb, just to have on hand, when I saw them at Office Depot. Wouldn't you know, I put that bulb in a "safe" place and now have no idea where it is. Hope I find it before I need it!

Daffy

Blog Entries
    I got mine at Lowe. I believe the everyday price is $59.00, Same floor lamp as Joanne's. This is cheaper than when Joanne's has it an sale

Blog Entries
    Go to Lowes online and enter Ott lamps. My stand up Ott lamp was only $49.95. At JoAnns it was selling for over a $100. Love it and kept $50.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I bought my $209 Ott floor lamp replacement at Joannes after thanksgiving for $89 on sale. Wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I have the floor and desk models Ott lamps. Probably have had them 10 yrs, bulb has not burned out. I love them, you don't get the glare that other lights give off. A good investment,IMO.

Blog Entries
    I have had two Ott lights, one being the least expensive - which is all well and good, except when the light goes out and they DO go out, it cost more than I paid for the light itself. Then I got my mother's and she has the fancy table light and her bulb went out and I cannot afford a light bulb for it, and also they are hard to find the right size Ottlight bulb for the Ottlight lamp. I bought a gooseneck from Menard's and I am very pleased with it - paid $9.95 for it and use a regular lightbulb. Edie

I just can't see spending that kind of money on a table lamp.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I have a couple Ott lights. Wouldn't sew without them. If you use coupons from Joanne Fabric, that helps the price. But I think the price is worth it.

JoAnn quite often has Ott lamps at 50% off. I would hold out for that sale. You won't have to wait long!

I have a floor Ott lamp and I have a knock off table lamp from Big Lots. I love both and use them all the time. I too bought my Ott Lamp at Joanns with a coupon but recently my DH found the table lamp on sale at Big Lots for a fraction of the cost of a true Ott lamp. Works perfectly and is the same color temp of the real one. Unless you crave one of the designer look Ott Lamps - look at the knock offs. IAnother place to look is Amazon - search on full spectrum lighting. There are loads of options that are not as pricey as Ott.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I have a small table size Ott lamp. I love it. JoAnn's put them on sale at 50% off periodically, especially this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Casi View Post
    Thanks Peckish, that is encouraging cause I don't want to spend that kind of money but I really need a lamp!
    I found an " ott light" at an office supply chain store at a much lesser price........and one at goodwill for $ 5.00!!!!

I don't have any Ott lights. The lighting I like best, particularly for hand work, is a halogen bulb. Gives a great, true, bright light. I have an adjustable one on the table next to the chair where I do hand work in the living room and another in my sewing room for times when I need extra lighting. I can move it around where I need it then. The one in the LR is more of a 'decorator' style table lamp and the one I use in the sewing room is still 'decorator' type but a bit more utilitarian looking. Keep in mind, that incandescent bulbs are going the way of the dodo in favor of LED bulbs. Incandescents are no longer being manufactured.

I would be patient and wait until they are 50% off which seems to me to be very frequently.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I also have a Big Lots knockoff I'm very happy with. And they have replacement bulbs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast