View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 04:22 AM
Edie

Class of 1956 - To be honest, I never cared about Elvis Presley. I never cared for his singing either. I was 36 when he died. For those that liked his singing, sorry, I just didn't. I liked Sam Cooke(You Send Me), Frankie Laine (Mule Train - couldn't dance to that one), Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett (thank God he is still here - with a beautiful voice yet - just heard him sing the other day), the Righteous Brothers (Unchained Melody) And today, for me, it is Andrea Bocelli, Luciano Pavarotti, Josh Groban. Michael Buble'. I wouldn't give a plug nickel for any of the new songs of today. But the songs to dance to in the 50's really meant something and when a teacher would come up to you and tap you on the shoulder because you were dancing "too" close, Those Were the Days, My Friend!

We didn't have the sock-hops. They were called Canteens. In the school gym. And begging my dad to have the car for the Homecoming parade and I couldn't even drive it because I was in the marching band (as well as concert) and
I had to march in the parade, pajama parties and calling up on the radio to have them play a song for so and so and so and so calling back asking for a song to be played at the pajama party on such and such a street. The 50's were the best years ever. Well, until I married my husband in 1960 and lived happily ever after.

Don't forget we wore gloves when we went out, took them off to take Communion, Penny Loafers, argyle knee-highs, Sweater sets, mint green tops and navy blue skirts (Why, I don't know, someone thought the combination was good, and it was), poodle hair cut, poodle skirt, Bernard Altman Cashmere sweaters (and you were really something when you had a cashmere sweater) wearing our collar on our blouse up (thought it was cool, but it distinguished you from being a nice girl or a hood's girlfriend. My mom stopped that in a hurry. Always dressing to look our very best when we went to school......in class, raising our hand, two fingers up and the teacher knew you had to be excused to the bathroom, Someone stop me. I could go on for hours and I have a quilt to put together today. Happy reminiscing!

It's all in our memories all in a very special place. Edie