View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 AM
mckwilter

I have a 440 QE, and I love it. I purchased it because I could no longer wind bobbins on my 30+ year old Singer 237 (this was before they started selling the Sidewinder), which only had straight and zig zag stitches. Since I also sew garments, I wanted a machine which made buttonholes simpler, had a finishing stitch, and few decorative stitches, for machine applique and to machine sew binding on utility quilts. Since I purchased it, I have started making a crazy quilt, and I use the decorative stitches instead of hand embroidery to decorate the seams. I got the circle attachment, and will make circles with decorative stitches, rather than appliqueing circles onto the fabric. The other features of the Bernina that I love and which you are probably already familiar with are the knee lift, needle up/down and being able to lengthen and widen stitches. That option gives you a multitude of choices when you start sewing decorative stitches. There is a limited alphabet on the 440 QE, so I can make labels if I choose to.

You really need to sit down with the machine and a store employee and have them walk you through the things you think you will need. Then ask them if they have a simpler machine that does the same things. Since you quilt by check, you don't need to worry about the throat space.