Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yet another Bernina question >

Yet another Bernina question

Yet another Bernina question

Old 02-03-2015, 02:14 PM

Question Yet another Bernina question

I have a 1990 Bernina 1130 that I love. I took it in for maintenance servicing and was told that while there is nothing specific wrong with it, there is normal wear and tear over 25 years but that it will probably still last a while longer. Good service, great tech, very honest with me. I have a dilemma, though. I was shown a new 550 QE and thought it looked nice. Price was reasonable (I guess, since I can't find a retail price online), a brand new machine, warranty, etc. I know how to sew really well, but I am not a computer tech. I do not FMQ, I quilt by check. I do not really understand the new machines. Do I really need 22 basic stitches and 155 decorative ones to make quilt tops and wall hangings? Does anyone have this machine who can give me their experienced opinion of it? My DH said to get it if I want it, but will it be more than I will ever really make full use of? I'd really appreaciate any help you can give me; I would hate to make such a costly mistake. Thanks so much.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:24 PM

My Mom had purchased a high end machine. All she really needed was a great simple machine. All of the computer functions really got in the way of her enjoyment. Don't buy more than you need or can see you self utilizing, all those extra's rarely pay for themselves. Save your money till you are sure what you need and want.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

There are so many choices of machines out there. Try to find one that best matches your needs.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:01 PM

I agree with the get what you will use. Personally if you want another Bernina I would look at the 1008 which is the only non-computer machine they still make. It is probably pretty close to your 1130 and not positive but it may use the same style feet which would be a huge plus. I know none of the others do so that means you would have to buy new feet. Also hang onto your 1130 who knows how long it may last - could be another30 years!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:02 PM

My moto on big purchases is "if in doubt, wait till you are sure". Is there an immediate reason for you to make a decision?
Old 02-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 440 and I love it. The 550 will have a pretty buttonhole stitch for machine applique, needle up/down for satin stitching and FMQ, brighter lighting, adjustable needle position, knee lift etc. Only you can say if you would like those features but take the classes for your new machine so you can fully use it if you decide to buy.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:30 PM

I have the 750QE which is computerized... and while I'll never use all the bells and whistles, some of them are pretty nifty! What I love most, however, is probably the large throat space!! It's actually large enough to fold a quilt into it. There is a lot of good advice here, though... one more thing to consider. If your Bernina dealer is like mine, you'll ALWAYS have support when you need it! That means a lot...
Old 02-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

"Quilt by check"! That's funny!

I have a Bernina 20 + years and have never used most of the bells and whistles on it, hundreds of stitches, embroidery and special feet. I thought and was sold the idea of maybe in the future I would want to try different stuff. Not! I over bought for my needs. I still love the machine and can't even begin to think about ever replacing her.

Figure out what you truly need in a machine and make a written list.
peace
Old 02-03-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
I have a 1990 Bernina 1130 that I love. I took it in for maintenance servicing and was told that while there is nothing specific wrong with it, there is normal wear and tear over 25 years but that it will probably still last a while longer. Good service, great tech, very honest with me. I have a dilemma, though. I was shown a new 550 QE and thought it looked nice. Price was reasonable (I guess, since I can't find a retail price online), a brand new machine, warranty, etc. I know how to sew really well, but I am not a computer tech. I do not FMQ, I quilt by check. I do not really understand the new machines. Do I really need 22 basic stitches and 155 decorative ones to make quilt tops and wall hangings? Does anyone have this machine who can give me their experienced opinion of it? My DH said to get it if I want it, but will it be more than I will ever really make full use of? I'd really appreaciate any help you can give me; I would hate to make such a costly mistake. Thanks so much.
not sure if you have to go the route of the more expensive machine, but I do believe it is in your best interests to have some kind of backup machine, even if it is another older machine. Just in case if your primary machine needs servicing.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:41 PM

The 550 QE is a great machine. It has the same oscillating hook (bobbin) system that your 1130 has. If you go higher than the 550, you'll get a rotary hook system, that you might not be as happy with. However, if you don't need the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) and bigger throat area, you'd probably be just as happy with the 350 Patchwork Edition, which is around $1,300. The 350 PE comes with a walking foot and Free Hand System, and a very nice selection of stitches. The 550 QE has a sturdier motor and internal shafts, but the 350 will last as long as your 1130. I have the 230 PE, which is the equivelant of the 350, and it has been my best friend for the past 9 years.