Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yet another Bernina question >

Yet another Bernina question

Yet another Bernina question

Old 02-03-2015, 08:36 PM

Thanks for all of your great replies and insights.

Sewmany: it will be going on sale for what I would consider a reasonable price during the quilt show in a couple weeks, that's why I would like to make up my mind.

Slbram17: I do have a backup. My little Brother 7700. Not nearly the workhorse or powerhouse the Bernina is, but dependable.

Quiltedsunshine: I love the rotary hook on my 1130 and that's one reason I'm leanings toward the 550. I also love the powerful motor that needs so little maintenance. :-)
Old 02-03-2015, 10:23 PM

I have 440 QE , the 550 QE is just slightly updated version. It is a work horse. It has a small throat if you want to do free motion. For your needs look at a juki. There basic model only goes backwards and forwards with side bobbin case and a slightly larger throat. Goes like a rocket.
if you are thinking of replacing have a look at shows where deals are available.nice sit down while you play.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:39 AM

Hello,
I have a Bernina 550QE and I wish that I had not bought it. I also have an older Bernina 930 which I love. I much prefer the feed on the older Bernina which takes the fabric through evenly, unlike my 550. I got so fed up with the 550 that I bought Juki 98 which I love.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 1530 and I hope it out lasts me. I don't use all the stitches on it. I bought it because it was the only one with a buttonhole stitch that I use for appliques. I had to only replace the bobbin case unit since I had used can air for cleaning in the 90s without knowing I should NOT have because there is moisture in those cans.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:57 AM

You can also send the machine to Bernina headquarters to be rebuilt. I have a friend that did that with her 1130. It's not inexpensive, but it makes the machine last another 25 years.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I agree with the get what you will use. Personally if you want another Bernina I would look at the 1008 which is the only non-computer machine they still make. It is probably pretty close to your 1130 and not positive but it may use the same style feet which would be a huge plus. I know none of the others do so that means you would have to buy new feet. Also hang onto your 1130 who knows how long it may last - could be another30 years!
I have experience with both the 1008 and the 1130. I would not choose the 1008 as a similar machine. I am still using a 1260 and was able to purchase one on ebay that had not near as much use as mine, for a machine to take to class.

If I were buying a new machine, it would still be a Bernina but I would choose a computer model
Old 02-05-2015, 04:43 AM

I love my Bernina 730E. I wouldn't be without the stitch regulator for quilting. You'll get used to finding the features on the computer screen, because they'll be the ones you use the most. Yes, my machine has more than I'll ever use, but love have the options.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:18 AM

I have a 550 and I absolutely love it. I take a class on Crafsty about quilting with decorative stitches. Yesterday I extend the lenght of #4 stitsch and did it on a small sandwich I already Had made up. I loved it. That is the only decorative stitch I have used so far. She also suggested the 639 and the719. The 639 makes a diamond serpentine and the719 is the scallop stitch. She remind everyone to use the wide stitch plate and the walking foot with feed dogs up. I also have a book called Quilting With Your Waking Foot.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:38 AM

My Bernina is a 1999 "virtusa 150" which I purchased new after taking one quilting lesson, hand stitched, and just knew I wanted to become a "quilter". My sewing machine was a royal pain with it's Cams, and stuff. That should have been my clue, but no.
I bought the Bernina in Texas, and now reside in Maine. With multiple moves, the Bernina resided in my motor home for a fere years. By the time I got settled in Maine and back to quilting, the Bernina was ailing. I was VERY lucky to have found a service tech who works on Berninas from a fabric shop. Bottom Line: She goes in about every 6 months for a "tune up". A few parts were replaced. Since I only use cotton material and thread, lint removal is an issue (an artist's paint brush is excellent for removing that lint), and the quick refresher the shop owner gave me was very helpful.
Mine doesn't like plastic bobbins. Use only 100% cotton threads and material. Follow the machine's directions, and have a fantastic service tech at the ready, also and have it professionally cleaned every 6 months, depending upon usage. I have 2 backup mqchines, but don't use them.
Good luck!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:47 AM

I have had my 830 for 30 plus years and love it. My husband gave me a new 780 for Christmas two years ago and I argued with him in the store that it was way more machine than I would probably ever use. He informed me it was a gift and that was what he wanted to give. He is a cowboy/farmer what did he know! Well, I love it! The embroidery unit that I thought I would never use, I use a lot. The decorative stitches, I've used and am surprised how often. I am so glad he took the initiative to buy this machine because I love all the bells and whistles. The needle threader, scissors, needle up, needle down and other features made the money spent worth it! We have a great dealer in our area and Bernina has great classes.