Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yet another Bernina question >

Yet another Bernina question

Yet another Bernina question

Old 02-05-2015, 06:06 AM

When I was shopping for a new machine, I did a lot of research online before I ever stepped into a store. I knew what I absolutely had to have (auto cutter, threader, feed dogs up/down, needle up/down) and then did some test driving. I tried to use features that I had no idea about (adjustable needle position) and even tried out the deco stitches. I walked out with a used Janome 6600 that has lots of stitches I will never use, but has lots that I do use. It is fun to add a line of fancy stitching along the hem of granddaughters dresses, or a deco stitch on the binding of a kids quilt to make it extra durable. I have found that I do use way more of the features than I originally thought about, and almost wish I had gone up one more step to the 7700 for the better alphabet stitching (to make labels). Have someone show you what you can use all those fancy stitches on before you decide you will never use them....try out the higher end computerized machines as well as the mechanical ones. You may find one that tickles your fancy!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:27 AM

I own the Bernina 550QE. My father bought it for me and gave it as a surprise. I love it. I also have other machines, but this one is easy to use and it's not necessary to set all the bells and whistles to piece quilt tops. That's mostly all I do. I am currently taking a quilt connection BOM and am learning more about the things this machine can do.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:36 AM

I agree: if you have doubt, wait.
I purchased a refurbished Baby Lock, a great deal, some years back when I first started to sew. The machine was a dream, BUT more than I needed. It sat there...all the wonderful embroidery it could do wasn't being used. I eventually sold it to someone who cherishes it to this day and she uses all that machine has to offer. I then bought a very good basic machine. I've upgraded it since then and I'm v. comfortable with its level of features.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:46 AM

I just read lots of really good "new machine" advice. The only thing I didn't read was much from people like me. I am a "grow into it" person. If I have it I am determined to use it and use it I do. Didn't want a microwave. I have two, opposite ends of the kitchen and a third in the rv. Didn't want slideouts in the rv. Have two in the new one. Didn't want the first rv. Just had the current one serviced and getting ready for a shakedown cruise. Long trip planned for 2015. See what I mean? Only one husband, though and he is an enabler besides being perfect. Well, perfect-ish; he still opens a econd jar because the first one didn't jump at him.

If you are like me and are blessed to be able to do it, consider if you will only use "what you're need" and THEN look at machines. Also, check to see if the dealer has a stepped "trade up offer" available. Might be a good way to hav the best oftwo worlds.

My Bernina, a 1630, walks on water at one end of my sewing room. The new Huskvarna Viking is Dad's last gift to me and resides right next to its manual at the other end of my sewing room. I still haven't entirely figured out all its ins and outs and bits and pieces; but I'm working on it. And while I do, I have plans for how I am going to use them. The line embroidery function and the filled embroidery function are neck and neck in the race to decide which one will be used for the lettering I'm going to use on a UFO. Then it's hi ho to sandwiching, quilting, and binding.

Enjoy the hunt and savor the decision.

Pat
Old 02-05-2015, 08:12 AM

I haven't read all the posts but I think you need to think about what kind of quilts you make and if you want to learn any of the newer(?) types of quilts and make your decision on that.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:55 AM

I had a 350, for about 1 month. For one thing it's a 3/4 size machine, so not much space between the needle and the post. And the biggest thing is that it has no presser foot pressure adjustment. I always felt that the top fabric "scootched" forward.

I traded it in on a 530, which had every feature I wanted, plus the ability to add the BSR, for FMQ, if you ever want it. It's a 5.5 machine. I "think" the 550 is 9mm, which IMHO, limits what can be done. Bernina makes 5.5 plates for some/all??? of their 9mm machines, so that helps with the fabric eating problem.

I traded my 530 in on a 710, which I do not like. I was able to buy a 440QE, that I LOVE. If you can find one of those, I suggest you seriously consider it.

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
The 550 QE is a great machine. It has the same oscillating hook (bobbin) system that your 1130 has. If you go higher than the 550, you'll get a rotary hook system, that you might not be as happy with. However, if you don't need the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) and bigger throat area, you'd probably be just as happy with the 350 Patchwork Edition, which is around $1,300. The 350 PE comes with a walking foot and Free Hand System, and a very nice selection of stitches. The 550 QE has a sturdier motor and internal shafts, but the 350 will last as long as your 1130. I have the 230 PE, which is the equivelant of the 350, and it has been my best friend for the past 9 years.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 AM

I have a 440 QE, and I love it. I purchased it because I could no longer wind bobbins on my 30+ year old Singer 237 (this was before they started selling the Sidewinder), which only had straight and zig zag stitches. Since I also sew garments, I wanted a machine which made buttonholes simpler, had a finishing stitch, and few decorative stitches, for machine applique and to machine sew binding on utility quilts. Since I purchased it, I have started making a crazy quilt, and I use the decorative stitches instead of hand embroidery to decorate the seams. I got the circle attachment, and will make circles with decorative stitches, rather than appliqueing circles onto the fabric. The other features of the Bernina that I love and which you are probably already familiar with are the knee lift, needle up/down and being able to lengthen and widen stitches. That option gives you a multitude of choices when you start sewing decorative stitches. There is a limited alphabet on the 440 QE, so I can make labels if I choose to.

You really need to sit down with the machine and a store employee and have them walk you through the things you think you will need. Then ask them if they have a simpler machine that does the same things. Since you quilt by check, you don't need to worry about the throat space.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=Rubesgirl;7075905]I have a 1990 Bernina 1130 that I love. I took it in for maintenance servicing and was told that while there is nothing specific wrong with it, there is normal wear and tear over 25 years but that it will probably still last a while longer.

Only 25 years??? I have a 830 record that I bought in 1974 and have used a lot over the years. It is still going strong and will probably out last me. Now I have a new 830LE that is the TOL computerized model and it is a total diva, needing to go into the shop all the time. I only use it to quilt with and that is because it has a large harp space. I will bet your 1130 will last more than a "few more years". You can't beat those old mechanical Bernina's for long service. If you are happy with it then keep it, but trust me you don't need the hassles of the new TOL ones. I traded my 440 for the 830le and I wish I had it back, it sewed a great stitch. If you don't want a fancy machine with all the bells and whistles but you want something to do quilting on, try the Brother 1500. It has a wide harp, sews only a straight or zig zag but does it very well and is a lot cheaper than the Berninas. The only advantage I see to the Bernina's is the auto threader, hover feature, thread cutter and the stitch regulator feature. Brother and Babylock have the same features. I say keep the 1130 for piecing and regular sewing and if you want an upgrade to a fancier machine check out the Brother dream weaver or the Babylocks....Lots cheaper and easier to use. Believe me you don't want the cleaning, oiling and general adjustments that need to be made all the time just to keep the 830le going. Plus it is thread picky and will not tolerate certain brands. Who ever heard of sewing machine that won't take any good thread. You never want to see the "gears of death" screen. I would trade in my 830le if I had not made such a huge monetary investment and cannot afford to do so. Having said that I will never get rid of my old 830 mechanical. Mostly now I sew on a Brother Inovis and it is not thread picky. It has it's quirks but it does not break down, never needs to be oiled and does not have the gears of death screen.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:13 PM

Default new Bernina

Originally Posted by Rondie View Post
I have had my 830 for 30 plus years and love it. My husband gave me a new 780 for Christmas two years ago and I argued with him in the store that it was way more machine than I would probably ever use. He informed me it was a gift and that was what he wanted to give. He is a cowboy/farmer what did he know! Well, I love it! The embroidery unit that I thought I would never use, I use a lot. The decorative stitches, I've used and am surprised how often. I am so glad he took the initiative to buy this machine because I love all the bells and whistles. The needle threader, scissors, needle up, needle down and other features made the money spent worth it! We have a great dealer in our area and Bernina has great classes.
I also have an old 830, I think from the late 1960's and it still runs like a charm, but...... I understand that the factory had a problem and they are unable to still make parts for it. But it runs great. I still have it, but wanted the 440QE when it came out because of the stitch regulator. Mine doesn't do embroidery and I don't need it, but it does have quite a few decorative stitches and last week, I learned some new ideas to use them when making quilts.

What I just LOVE about it is the needle down or up feature, the one stitch at a time and the needle threader and it runs great. However, I just don't use the stitch regulator when quilting. I have taken classes from several teachers that only use Bernina and they all told me I didn't really need it. AND they are right. I just lower the feed dogs, loosen my thread tension and use the darning foot and go to town. I really love this machine and am so glad I bought it. I did find out one thing that some others here have mentioned. The lint builds up in this machine where I can't reach it when I use cotton thread and have found that I have to have it serviced more often. But someone recommended Superior thread to me which is polyester , I have had no problems since. I know it is more expensive, but I use mostly Bottom Line in the bobbin and have quilted two bed sized quilts using that in the bobbin and still have some left on their smaller spool, so I felt it was worth it. I use the Superior thread now all they time and it is great to work with.
I know nothing about Bernina's 5xx line, but if you have been using a Bernina, you might be disappointed in another brand. Good luck to you. I know it is a lot of money.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:00 PM

Wendy, I have the Bernina 440 QE and would love to upgrade to the 550, but I am still happy with the one I have. It sews beautiful stitches and performs like a dream. The 550 sells for about $3,500 at my lqc. I believe you will be happy with the machine. The Bernina, in my opinion, is the best and their website provides total support.