View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 10:39 AM
kellen46

[QUOTE=Rubesgirl;7075905]I have a 1990 Bernina 1130 that I love. I took it in for maintenance servicing and was told that while there is nothing specific wrong with it, there is normal wear and tear over 25 years but that it will probably still last a while longer.

Only 25 years??? I have a 830 record that I bought in 1974 and have used a lot over the years. It is still going strong and will probably out last me. Now I have a new 830LE that is the TOL computerized model and it is a total diva, needing to go into the shop all the time. I only use it to quilt with and that is because it has a large harp space. I will bet your 1130 will last more than a "few more years". You can't beat those old mechanical Bernina's for long service. If you are happy with it then keep it, but trust me you don't need the hassles of the new TOL ones. I traded my 440 for the 830le and I wish I had it back, it sewed a great stitch. If you don't want a fancy machine with all the bells and whistles but you want something to do quilting on, try the Brother 1500. It has a wide harp, sews only a straight or zig zag but does it very well and is a lot cheaper than the Berninas. The only advantage I see to the Bernina's is the auto threader, hover feature, thread cutter and the stitch regulator feature. Brother and Babylock have the same features. I say keep the 1130 for piecing and regular sewing and if you want an upgrade to a fancier machine check out the Brother dream weaver or the Babylocks....Lots cheaper and easier to use. Believe me you don't want the cleaning, oiling and general adjustments that need to be made all the time just to keep the 830le going. Plus it is thread picky and will not tolerate certain brands. Who ever heard of sewing machine that won't take any good thread. You never want to see the "gears of death" screen. I would trade in my 830le if I had not made such a huge monetary investment and cannot afford to do so. Having said that I will never get rid of my old 830 mechanical. Mostly now I sew on a Brother Inovis and it is not thread picky. It has it's quirks but it does not break down, never needs to be oiled and does not have the gears of death screen.