View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 12:13 PM
VernaL

Default new Bernina

Originally Posted by Rondie
I have had my 830 for 30 plus years and love it. My husband gave me a new 780 for Christmas two years ago and I argued with him in the store that it was way more machine than I would probably ever use. He informed me it was a gift and that was what he wanted to give. He is a cowboy/farmer what did he know! Well, I love it! The embroidery unit that I thought I would never use, I use a lot. The decorative stitches, I've used and am surprised how often. I am so glad he took the initiative to buy this machine because I love all the bells and whistles. The needle threader, scissors, needle up, needle down and other features made the money spent worth it! We have a great dealer in our area and Bernina has great classes.
I also have an old 830, I think from the late 1960's and it still runs like a charm, but...... I understand that the factory had a problem and they are unable to still make parts for it. But it runs great. I still have it, but wanted the 440QE when it came out because of the stitch regulator. Mine doesn't do embroidery and I don't need it, but it does have quite a few decorative stitches and last week, I learned some new ideas to use them when making quilts.

What I just LOVE about it is the needle down or up feature, the one stitch at a time and the needle threader and it runs great. However, I just don't use the stitch regulator when quilting. I have taken classes from several teachers that only use Bernina and they all told me I didn't really need it. AND they are right. I just lower the feed dogs, loosen my thread tension and use the darning foot and go to town. I really love this machine and am so glad I bought it. I did find out one thing that some others here have mentioned. The lint builds up in this machine where I can't reach it when I use cotton thread and have found that I have to have it serviced more often. But someone recommended Superior thread to me which is polyester , I have had no problems since. I know it is more expensive, but I use mostly Bottom Line in the bobbin and have quilted two bed sized quilts using that in the bobbin and still have some left on their smaller spool, so I felt it was worth it. I use the Superior thread now all they time and it is great to work with.
I know nothing about Bernina's 5xx line, but if you have been using a Bernina, you might be disappointed in another brand. Good luck to you. I know it is a lot of money.