Old 03-17-2015, 12:36 PM
wildyard

One of the things I like to do when making a quilt for a special occasion, is try to link memories to it. I made one for dear friends and I made the blocks to represent things with meaning to them and us.
I also made my DH a quilt for our 40th anniversary and it is sort of like an I Spy quilt. I used fabrics that connected to special memories.
I made a quilt that would work great and is pretty easy if you can find the fabrics that suit. For example, if you love doing certain activities together, find fabrics to make squares for those activities. There are two ways you can display all the fabrics once you collect them; one is a modified rail fence and the other is in a shadow box quilt. The rail fence is much easier.
Sorry for so many photos but I want to show you what I mean.

The third photo is the modified rail fence and you can make the side bars of different fabrics to match the fabric in the center. I just happened to use all the same to represent sand for a beach quilt.
The 4th photo is the shadow box. It is scrappy in that every square is different, but for best effect, you do want all your shadows to be one darker color and your background to be one lighter color.
Attached Thumbnails 50th-done.jpg   finished-40th-quilt.jpg   just-beachy.jpg   favorite-things-finished.jpg  

Last edited by wildyard; 03-17-2015 at 12:41 PM.