View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 05:42 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Probably the thing they would be best able to relate to are the technological changes you have seen over your lifetime. TV - black & white only to color to smart TV's (which I don't even understand!); telephones; space exploration. Things that they think are perfectly normal that didn't exist when you were a child. Gives them a completely different perspective.
This one is so true. My now 9yr old grandson at about age 4 was watching Little House on the Prarie and was amazed that there was a time that not only were there no cars, bikes, etc but there was no electric or batteries. He was also amazed how alot of people had to walk because they couldn't afford horses. That became his favorite show to the point that a few months later they had an all night marathon with the show and this 4 year old stayed up all night watching Little House on the Prarie. He also started watching the Waltons at the same time. It totally amazed him. When I bought my tredle he was again amazed that something could run without electric. He knows that that machine, my antique bedroom set that he's loved since a baby is his when I go. He loves knowing that. I tell him we didn't have toys growing up, it was outside playing with sticks or skipping and playing in the creak by the house. That we had to go to that creek to get water and take a bath in a galvanized tub behind the wood heating stove. It's not that we didn't have the things in our house, but most of my life my father wouldn't have them turned on because of the cost. What would he think if he saw the cost of the utilities today. I try to tell my kids and grandkids about the way I grew up because they'll never experience it. You should of seen my daughters face when I showed her my elementary school house that's still standing, 3 rooms and the outhouses out back. We were fortunate then. We were poor so I got to experience things that my cousins didn't experience because they had more money. Looking back, those are the good old days.