View Single Post
Old 04-16-2015, 04:52 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JustOneMoreYard View Post
Thanks for the answers. My frames are mounted on a heavy duty table, so the weight is not an issue. I have one of the original B-line frames, before they made legs for them, so you had to bolt them to a sturdy table.

I have never heard of the Bailey, but will check them out. Also the Pfaff, my surger is a Pfaff and I am happy with that, so . . . will let you all know.
I think you misunderstood PP. Your frames may be mounted on heavy duty tables but what can the RAILS support. The rails are what the machine carriage roll on. They may not be up to spec to carry that kind of weight. Or your carriage may not be. You also have to take into consideration the weight bearing capabilities of the bearings in your carriage wheels. Think of it as mounting an automobile body on the chassis for a wagon. You most definitely need to contact the FRAME manufacturer NOT the LA manufacturer to see what the maximum weight specs are for your frame.

If you try to put too heavy of a machine on it the following things will happen:

The machine will not move like you are accustomed to, it will drag in some places and take off like a rocket in others
The bearings in your carriage wheels won't support the weight and it will be like trying to pull a boat anchor on a skid and you will have to replace all your carriage wheels to accommodate the heavier weight
Your rails will bend and flex under the excess weight eventually warping out of shape.

Edited to add, these things may not happen right away but they surely will over time if you are putting a machine that is beyond the weight limits of the carriage and rails. Just like if you put a automobile body on the chassis for a soapbox racer, it may work for a while but eventually the stress will break it down.

Many of the frames made to accommodate a domestic machine will not be able to support the additional weight of a mid arm or long arm.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 04-16-2015 at 04:59 AM.