Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm machine questions >

Long arm machine questions

Long arm machine questions

Old 04-15-2015, 10:50 AM

Default Long arm machine questions

Hi Ladies,

I own a Juki 98E and she is sitting on B-Line Frames. When I got the set up, I thought it was great, I learned how to do the quilting, but now I need to upgrade my machine to get a longer area to sew.

I am thinking about going up to 18 inches. My frames will support that length with no issues what so ever and my frames are in excellent shape. I can find no where that tells me what other brand of machine, other than a regular sewing machine, will sit on my b-line table (the one the machine sits on that moves) Everyone (dealers) say that you need to get a new set of frames to when you upgrade to an 18 inch machine, but I find that hard to believe.

Isn't there a machine out there that has a stable wider bottom that will sit like a regular sewing machine? If there is, what is it?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:56 AM

The Bailey Company has a new model that's 20", they have a pretty good reputation and customer service, when I have the room and the money, I'm going with them. I don't know if it fits your criteria though, but I'm sure you can call or email them, and they'll be happy to help you with any questions.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:20 PM

The Bailey has a base like a regular sewing machine, many long arms - the machine IS the base, and you need a frame it can ride on.

Bailey also has a 17" model if the 20" is too long for you. My main disappointment with my Bailey was the harp height, and that does not vary with the length.

The other table models I can think of are all 16" machines.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:49 PM

My Pfaff P3 has an 18 inch throat and has a base like a regular sewing machine. It sits on a carriage on my frame (Grace) - take a look at them.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

You need to contact the frame manufacturer to see what machines it will support. Two items come to mind: the bigger the machine, the more it weighs. My 18" long arm is 60+ pounds. You need to make sure the frame will support this. The other thing is to make sure the carriage will actually move enough to let you quilt the entire depth of your new machine.
Looks like there is a yahoo group for your frame. Might also want to check there.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the answers. My frames are mounted on a heavy duty table, so the weight is not an issue. I have one of the original B-line frames, before they made legs for them, so you had to bolt them to a sturdy table.

I have never heard of the Bailey, but will check them out. Also the Pfaff, my surger is a Pfaff and I am happy with that, so . . . will let you all know.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

If you can get to a larger quilt show near you, go check out the various LA asking questions from dealers and test drive so that you can make a good decision.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JustOneMoreYard View Post
Thanks for the answers. My frames are mounted on a heavy duty table, so the weight is not an issue. I have one of the original B-line frames, before they made legs for them, so you had to bolt them to a sturdy table.

I have never heard of the Bailey, but will check them out. Also the Pfaff, my surger is a Pfaff and I am happy with that, so . . . will let you all know.
I think you misunderstood PP. Your frames may be mounted on heavy duty tables but what can the RAILS support. The rails are what the machine carriage roll on. They may not be up to spec to carry that kind of weight. Or your carriage may not be. You also have to take into consideration the weight bearing capabilities of the bearings in your carriage wheels. Think of it as mounting an automobile body on the chassis for a wagon. You most definitely need to contact the FRAME manufacturer NOT the LA manufacturer to see what the maximum weight specs are for your frame.

If you try to put too heavy of a machine on it the following things will happen:

The machine will not move like you are accustomed to, it will drag in some places and take off like a rocket in others
The bearings in your carriage wheels won't support the weight and it will be like trying to pull a boat anchor on a skid and you will have to replace all your carriage wheels to accommodate the heavier weight
Your rails will bend and flex under the excess weight eventually warping out of shape.

Edited to add, these things may not happen right away but they surely will over time if you are putting a machine that is beyond the weight limits of the carriage and rails. Just like if you put a automobile body on the chassis for a soapbox racer, it may work for a while but eventually the stress will break it down.

Many of the frames made to accommodate a domestic machine will not be able to support the additional weight of a mid arm or long arm.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 04-16-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 AM

I've got a b-line as well with a Juki 98. There is a small discussion here http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t123344.html and a couple people mention using a HQ16 on the frame.

The company did make a b-line 18" machine to use with the frame before they went out of business, I heard because of health reasons. If you google b-line 18 a couple of photos will come up.

I've considered putting a larger machine on the frame if I could find a good deal. My only concern would be the rails the carriage sits on because they are that hard plastic material. If it goes I don't know what I could use to replace it.