Old 05-18-2015, 06:44 PM
GailG

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I am developing a close relationship with an old pattern that I just discovered. It is easy to make and can be so many different things depending on fabric choice and positioning.
I don't know the name of it, if it even has one. It is simply alternating a large block with a 4 patch block. I have just made a table runner doing it in scrappy, and am working on a purple quilt using 4 fabrics. However, it would also look great with your large print as the big squares and your other two in the 4 patch. The 4 patches when done in just 2 fabrics make a kind of Irish Chain effect. I did the table runner on point, but the quilt will be straight so the 4 patches will angle across the quilt. I did the runner at 10 1/2" squares and 5 1/2" squares; the quilt is 8 1/2" and 4 1/2".
Photo of the table runner attached.
Actually this is the pattern I was going to suggest, but I call it the "Quilts for Kids" pattern...it's basically alternate blocks of focus fabric and four-patch squares. You could use the star fabrics in the four patch and the print for the focus fabric. Good luck. There have been a lot of ideas that would work.