View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 02:12 PM
ruthquilter

Default labeling quilts

Originally Posted by purpleleaf View Post
Do you label your quilts? If so - could you share what you use, what info you include, and how (and when in the process - before quilting or after?) you attach it, please!

I know that every instructor I've ever had a quilting class from has stressed labeling... and yet I never do it!
I always label my quilts, unless for charity. I have read that it will give the quilt its provenence after we are gone. I have some old quilts from relatives, but don't know who or when they were made. Labels should include as much info as to inspiration, pattern (with credit to the pattern designer), name of the quilt, your name, city & state & the date. I typically use the year for dating. Labels also can help in recovery of a quilt is ever lost, & I think that can happen more than we realize. Labels can be hand sewn on the back, also incorporating it into the binding, which makes it harder to remove if a quilt is stolen, or written on the backing, which is impossible to remove. I want my quilts to have the info for the future, even if they don't stay with my kids.