View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 AM
amma
Power Poster

I have been on a diet for 40 years... I made changes in how I shopped and prepared food (low cholestrol) and slowly adapted into a diabetics diet.. (didn't know it at the time) and it has helped me to maintain a healthy weight.
IMHO you need carbs for energy...and the whole grains do help with that, it is what you put on the carbs that is calorie laden :wink: I can eat white rice, a little meat and veggies, and I am hungry a couple of hours later. If I eat brown basmati rice instead, it stays with me for atleast 4 hours. The same with white versus a heavier wheat bread. It took me a while to get used to the different tastes and textures, but it has really paid off.
Some of the light tomato sauces in Italian cookbooks are really good and healthy. Chopped tomatoes and herbs and it is not a heavy thick sauce, nor do you cover the noodles as heavily, but you get a good flavor and it fills you up.
I have tried all of the fad diets, and my weight would jump back up again... The cabbage soup diet can be a great way to start out, it can help shrink your stomach some so that you don't need to eat as much.
Also starting your meal with a cup of veggie soup will help fill you up, with very few calories. :D:D:D