Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Succesful Dieting

Has anyone here experienced a successful diet? I would like for you to share. I've started, since the holidays are over, on the cabbage soup diet and not finding it so pleasant. Any better ideas?

Thanks!

That is the one that worked for me. I did add some beef flavoring to mine.

Blog Entries
    I have, to date since March 1, 2009, lost over 100 pounds. The picture in my avatar was the end of May, about 40 lbs down from my starting weight of nearly 300 lbs.

You've probably heard it before, and for me, it's true. You can't diet and be successful, you have to make a lifestyle change.
    I went to www.caloriecount.about.com and used the tools there, along with the forums, they even have a nutritionist that you can ask questions of...all for free. The tools available are awesome, the two I used the most were the burn meter and the calorie counter. By entering your height, weight, age, and activity level they will tell you how much you burn in a day, how many calories you should have to lose about a pound and a half per week, (1% of your current body weight is a safe amount)

The best advice I got while I was using the board? "Don't do ANYTHING to lose weight that you're not going to be happy doing for the rest of your life".

Let me know if I can do anything to help you!! Good luck, and toss that cabbage soup out! ;)

Charlee, Thanks for the link. I will look into that. And congrats on the weight loss. Maribeth

Lneal: First off, I gain 5lbs everytime I look at your avatar!!
    Last year I used green tea and over 12 months lost 22 lbs. I drank 16 oz of green tea during the day and it seemed to suppress my appetite. It's healthy (so they say this year, who knows what they'll say next year) and you can get it decaffeinated. Since it's liquid, I felt full and didn't snack all day.
    I put on some pounds over the holiday and plan to start again. I hope it works for me again.
    Everyone's different-don't know if this will help or not. Good luck and keep us posted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lneal
    Has anyone here experienced a successful diet? I would like for you to share. I've started, since the holidays are over, on the cabbage soup diet and not finding it so pleasant. Any better ideas?

Thanks!
    Yes, change your avatar to a carrot. LMAO! :lol:

Charlee...1st...CONGRATULATIONS! That is terrific. Keep up the good work :D
    2nd. Thank you for the good advice. Yes, we fall into habits that are devistating to our bodies. A simple lifestyle change goes a long way toward weight loss. The older we get, the more difficult (but NOT impossible) it is to lose weight.
    3rd. Only you can do what must be done to lose the weight. No one else can do it for you.
    4th. Walking is the cheepest and easiest form of exercise. No $$ or equipment required. :D

Blog Entries
    You're so right Jan...everyone is different! :)

I've never seen anyone tho, lose weight with a "diet" (i.e., cabbage soup, Atkins, grapefruit, Nutrisystem, or Jenny Craig) that didn't gain it all back...because as soon as you quit eating the prescribed foods, you're back to where you were when you gained in the first place.

I still eat everything I want to eat, I'm just more aware... I read labels, and stick to one serving. That pizza is NOT the last pizza in the world...a large salad and one slice is enough. I can have more tomorrow if I really want it. Oh...and watch those salads! If you load them with bacon bits, cheese, and ranch salad dressing, skip the pizza! ;)

Blog Entries
    Oh Leota! I bet I've walked ten thousand miles since March of 09!! :lol:

, change your avatar to a carrot

Hope this helps!!! LOL!! I have lost 6lbs I need to lose 20!! I feel like I'm taking baby steps.

Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Lneal: First off, I gain 5lbs everytime I look at your avatar!!
    Good point! I get a craving for a banana split whenever I see it.

By the way, a great website and message board for weight loss info & support is http://www.3fatchicks.com

Any balanced weight-loss diet is fine for losing weight. The trick is getting yourself to stick to it, which is my biggest (no pun intended) problem.

The cabbage soup diet is meant to be a short jump-start to a diet, not something you stay on for more than a week. The cabbage soup itself is a very healthy dish, by the way, lots of veggies.

The diet I use when I'm being good works very well and keeps you well nourished, too. Here it is:

A. 5 - 9 servings of vegetables and fruits each day
    --- At least 3 vegetables should be eaten for every 2 fruits.
    --- Limit starchy vegetables, such as potatoes and corn, to 1 serving/day.
    --- Use a wide range of veggies, not just the same few.

B. Limit protein to 25% of your calories per day, or to 2 - 3 4 oz. servings.
    --- Meats should be 90% lean or better (lean ground beef, lean cuts of steak such as flank steak, lean ground turkey, white meat of the chicken or turkey, etc.)
    --- Have fish at least twice a week.
    --- Try to have beans, lentils and other plant-based proteins several times a week, or even better, most of the time.

C. Limit fat to 25% of your calories per day.

D. Limit carbs from grains, starches, sugars and processed foods to 50% of your calories. (Vegetables & fruits are carbs and must be counted with this, but you can go over this limit with veggies.)
    --- At least one grain serving/day should be whole grain. (The experts would say they all should be, but we don't all eat that way and hey, weight-loss dieting is hard enough.)

E. Keep hydrated - water is best.

F. Limit the calories, but it has been found that super low is not good.

G. Nothing is forbidden, but plan for your treats and work them into your daily limits.

H. Physical activity is important. Even if you can't work out or don't want to, get in at least 20 minutes of some kind of moderate exercise or activity daily. It can be in 5 minute blocks if necessary. It can be walking, housecleaning, whatever. Of course, the more you do, the faster you'll lose weight. Ideally, you should break a sweat and get the heart rate up.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I have, to date since March 1, 2009, lost over 100 pounds. The picture in my avatar was the end of May, about 40 lbs down from my starting weight of nearly 300 lbs.
    Congratulations! Can we get you to post before & after pictures?

I started my diet (again) yesterday. Actually, after lunch, since I had to have a last meal of fried food with a chocolate shake. Worked out at the so-called gym in my apartment complex and only made it through 10 minutes with a break almost every minute. I had no idea I'd gotten that out of shape. Can't walk much because of bad knees, but that should get eaiser once I'm carrying less weight.

bj
    Lots of good advice. I've struggled with weight most of my adult life. And it's starting to make my knees and feet fall apart. So, glad this thread is going. I'm starting my new diet now. I'm 5'2.5" and weigh 235 lbs.

Charlee, that is so wonderful. I am at where you were. I've taken off about 15 lbs since September, that's adding back the 1 lb I added on for Christmas.
    My knees are hurting and I'm afraid that someday I will have to do a knee replacement. I can't walk very far because of the pain. Tho, I think I may have a torn meniscus in my right knee, I'll get it checked out when I closer to finishing up with my shoulder.
    I need to lose over 130 lbs. Just having a tough time doing it!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lneal
    , change your avatar to a carrot

Hope this helps!!! LOL!! I have lost 6lbs I need to lose 20!! I feel like I'm taking baby steps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have been on a diet for 40 years... I made changes in how I shopped and prepared food (low cholestrol) and slowly adapted into a diabetics diet.. (didn't know it at the time) and it has helped me to maintain a healthy weight.
    IMHO you need carbs for energy...and the whole grains do help with that, it is what you put on the carbs that is calorie laden :wink: I can eat white rice, a little meat and veggies, and I am hungry a couple of hours later. If I eat brown basmati rice instead, it stays with me for atleast 4 hours. The same with white versus a heavier wheat bread. It took me a while to get used to the different tastes and textures, but it has really paid off.
    Some of the light tomato sauces in Italian cookbooks are really good and healthy. Chopped tomatoes and herbs and it is not a heavy thick sauce, nor do you cover the noodles as heavily, but you get a good flavor and it fills you up.
    I have tried all of the fad diets, and my weight would jump back up again... The cabbage soup diet can be a great way to start out, it can help shrink your stomach some so that you don't need to eat as much.
    Also starting your meal with a cup of veggie soup will help fill you up, with very few calories. :D:D:D

Love the new avatar. (not really!!)

You guys are great. What helpful advice you give. My biggest problem is "picking"--all day and all evening. Boredom? Probably. I've been doing puzzles, sewing, etc., to keep my hands and mind busy but...
    Amma, you're right about the whole grains filling you up but it's hard to get used to the taste; okay with bread but I can't do brown rice or pasta.
    These are reallly great suggestions. If someone has ANY suggestions to help with the picking (or "grazing"-I feel like cow!!) please post.
    Lneal-thanks for starting this thread.

Love the new avatar. (not really!!)

You guys are great. What helpful advice you give. My biggest problem is "picking"--all day and all evening. Boredom? Probably. I've been doing puzzles, sewing, etc., to keep my hands and mind busy but...
    Amma, you're right about the whole grains filling you up but it's hard to get used to the taste; okay with bread but I can't do brown rice or pasta.
    These are reallly great suggestions. If someone has ANY suggestions to help with the picking (or "grazing"-I feel like cow!!) please post.
    Lneal-thanks for starting this thread.

I, too, have struggled with my weight most of my life. The diabetic diet is the easiest because it is a lifestyle change not really a diet. To keep from picking, I keep my hands busy EVERY TIME I sit down. Lost 52 pounds over the last year. I still have a long way to go, but at least I'm headed in the rite direction. I even lost over the holidays! This doesn't keep you from eathing things it just tells you how much of everything you can eat to keep a balance.

Thanks Charlee, I'm going to check it out. I only have about l5 lbs to lose and have been excercising for the last two weeks and need more help. Congrats on the weight loss. Keep up the good work.

I'm just cutting way down on carbs like bread and pasta and chips and, well, all the good stuff, and cutting down on my portion sizes. I need to lose 100 lbs. I also need to spend less time on my butt. That would help me a lot.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The summer before both my babies flew the coop for college, I decided to lose my baby weight--just 15 lbs, but it was time. I started Weight Watchers and lost 17 lbs that summer. I lost 0.5-2.0 lbs every week I went. I gained a little back--not too bad--but as soon as I count points, the weight goes right off. I need to lose just 4 right now for the holidays, but that can be tough too.

My son's fiancé joined WW online and loves it. She said there are many features that make it awesome.

I lost 40 lbs with ww 5yrs ago. I love their program, but didn't realize you could join online. I want to check it out. Unfortunatly I gained it back when I had to go to work setting down all day and eating out and vending machines at work. Not good choices. But now I'm unemployed and starting school in a couple of months. With the holidays behind it is a good time to lose some weight. I have a mini trampoline to use thru winter then back to walking when the weather gets nice!!

Charlee, thank you for the link. I signed up. You are an inspiration. :D :D :D

Banned
    Hey plus sizers...don't it just make you sick when someone says they need to loose 15-20 pounds because they are fat! LMAO!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast