View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 12:25 PM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
I mentioned it to the quilters in my circle and got positive responses except for one lady. Her thought was "Why do they want our cast-off? If I don't want it why would they?"
I'm one of those there is no ugly fabric, you just haven't cut it small enough quilters. I work with lots of fabric that have been donated to me and it is surprising what appeals to someone else or how different settings change the appeal of "ugly".
Your thoughts?
i would have responded to that member .....cast-offs are treasures! i was a member of a row robin last year. every row i did, even the row for my own quilt, was done with fabrics i've recieved as cast-offs. my mil church quilter group sends me their scraps and don't wants. every row i made in the rr was exclaimed over & loved. i recently have started my grad daughters, at their requests, sewing quilt blocks & one finsihed a doll quilt. all made w cast-off fabrics. they loved all the different varieries of colors, shapes, subject matter. one girl has fallen i love w concept of fussy cutting and some children fabric that i find hideous is a tresure to her for her fussy cutting adventures. i recently was gifted four large garbage bags of beautiful & not so beautiful (to my eyes ) fabrics, new & some very old (36" wide) ..most has found home in my stash and growing stash of fabric collection i am making for the grand treasures according to the tastes in colors & prints they've shown to be to their liking, and to a couple of quilting friends whose taste in colors and prints differ from mine. my point is, of course others would want your cast-offs!! especially those starting out on this quilting adventure & those with tastes that differ from our own. and when it comes to recycled thrift store clothing ...i started with that as my main fabric source, and continue to hunt the thrift stores for plaid shirts, mens white dress shirts for special projects. good stuff!!