View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Maybe the optimal compromise, a vintage industrial, they are still around and often only needs a good cleaning and oiling to run again. I know model 15 can stand up to all kinds of abuse, but it's made for sewing clothes and curtains, everything for the home. You have to be a bit nice to it
You're right, I should have had the word "domestic" in there. I wouldn't have a lot of trouble with someone using an appropriate vintage industrial for a cottage business. In fact, they're some of the best machines to use - well built, parts are often plentiful and they're usually well worn in and inexpensive as a result.

That said, it seems like industrials open up another can of worms. There's a conception that they all do the same work and they don't. They aren't all for leather, heavy work, etc. An industrial's job is to do one thing well and fast. The 31-15 I have for instance is not particularly suitable for leather. It's a tailor machine. It's meant for general tailor work - fast. Which vintage industrial is good for leather? Depends on the leather and the job. There are as many vintage industrials as domestics, I bet.