View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 12:05 PM
MargeD
Power Poster

I was a self-taught quilter when I first began my "quilting journey", and since I didn't seem able to accomplish the rocking method of hand quilting, I used the stab stitching method. I did do some amazing tiny stitches, but I'm not sure now if that was because of my ability or the fact that my eyesight was so much better back then. LOL. I'm talking about 30 years ago and I can't remember if I had started wearing eyeglasses then. Our craft group at church made the raffle quilt for our Holiday Fair with one woman graciously stenciling a floral basket and a wreath with sashing in between. We raised over $2,500 on that quilt and my children's first grade teacher won it. We made the quilt because the quilting group would not teach us how to quilt because we weren't good enough, so we proved to them that we were and the next year they took back making the quilt; as apparently we were good enough. I'm just happy that our little craft group was still talking to me after working on that quilt "one stitch at a time", but only one person from the group continued to make quilts. I just felt fortunate that the group excused my lack of training and were willing to work together to raise money for our church.