View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 10:59 AM
RedGarnet222
Power Poster

I have lots of stories about sewing, mending and quilting requests. I could practically write a book on the craziness people have in their heads about the lowly skill of this type of work. But, I have a turning point story about when I finally learned to stand up for my work, time and money.

My sister brought a friend of hers over to visit who was soon to be a step-grandmother. She wanted to see some of my ufo's and I happily brought her up to my sewing room to show her my work. She fell in love with one baby quilt and offed to pay me for it when it was finished. But could I get it done soon. I said ok, and placed my current project aside to finish it up for her.

Four days later it was done and ready for her to pick up. I modestly asked for $65.00. It was crib sized and lots of hand appliqued animals with a circus bear on a ball in the center. Really cute done in light purples, aqua and a golden tan. The custom quilting turned out wonderful and she was thrilled until I told her how much I wanted for it. She asked, Why so much?

I honestly don't know where it came from, but, I said, "Well, let me see, how about you work a week and provide all of your needed supplies and utilities plus your salary. Just how much would that be? She pulled out her wallet and paid up without another word. I felt so liberated! People can relate when it comes to their own spent personal time and work pay.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-15-2016 at 11:04 AM.