View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 11:27 AM
rryder

I use something like the comic boards. Mine are the boards that you used to get some fat quarters and other precuts on back when the companies first started doing pre-cuts. I just saved them and cut them to sizes that would work with the drawers that I have.

I use the boards for anything larger than a fat quarter but smaller than 2 yards. I wrap my fabric on them, pin a label showing yardage and stand it on end in my cheap plastic drawer units from Target. Anything over 2 yards is ruler folded and stands nicely in the bottom drawer of one of my units. Fat quarters are also ruler folded and stood on end. When I open a drawer I can see immediately what I've got--sort of like what people do who file their fabric on hanging files in a file cabinet, only mine aren't on hanging files. It's quick and easy to shop my stash since I have one 3 drawer unit dedicated to yardage and another one dedicated to fat quarters and precuts (most of which are homemade from my scrap heap). I can store between 200 and 300 yards of quilting fabric between the two drawer units and they fit under/beside my sewing tables which is great since my sewing area is really small. I live in an old house and have a dog, so dust is always a concern for me, that's why I went with the drawer units rather than shelves.

The only problem with having my fabrics so well organized is that now that I can see what all I've got and it's so easy to get to that I don't get to experience the thrill of fabric shopping as often as I used to in my pre-organization days!

Rob