Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comic Boards and Fabric Organizers

Comic Boards and Fabric Organizers

I hope it's okay to ask opinions on using Comic Boards or the other product called "fabric Organizer" that looks like it's more plastic. The price difference is quite huge. Does anyone have the "plastic" ones? Do you comic board users use 2 comic boards at once to make it stiffer? I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the comic boards and just 2 at a time when folding the fabric OR whether I should just purchase those fabric organizers a bit at a time...........I noticed they seem to have 25% off sales, but not sure if the difference is worth it. I can't seem to find out what the plastic ones are made of?

Anyway....just a pondering and want to know any opinions you might have! Thanks!

I do not use either have my fabric folded and stacked on closet shelves. I am sure someone will respond with answers soon.

Blog Entries
    I use the comic book boards - Silver edition - and like them a lot. it's nice to see my fabric lined up nicely on the bookshelves making it easier to select fabrics for projects.

Blog Entries
    I have both, the plastic and the comic. in my opinion, the plastic is too thick. I now use only the comic, and only 1 thickness.

I use 1 thickness of comic book boards, too. They help stabilize the fabric so it can stand up like a book on a shelf. For larger than 2 yd. pieces I "ruler fold" with my 6"x24" rotary ruler, and stack those folded fabrics horizontally on a shelf.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I go to the Dollar Store and get my boards, 1.00 each and you can cut several boards. Depends on the size you need. They work Great!!!
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?
    Kathy

I'm using the comic boards and they seem to work fine. It's been a long process but worth seeing the fabrics lining up.

I used comic book boards, then quit. Too much folding to get the fabric on them, then too much unfolding and adjusting to get the fabric ready to cut. Now, I just ruler fold my fabric and stack it on the shelf. Takes up less room too.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    I used comic book boards, then quit. Too much folding to get the fabric on them, then too much unfolding and adjusting to get the fabric ready to cut. Now, I just ruler fold my fabric and stack it on the shelf. Takes up less room too.
    this makes more sense...I never did use the boards, just ruler fold as mentioned....I can stack full height of shelf that way.....but each finds what works best....

Quote Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
    I go to the Dollar Store and get my boards, 1.00 each and you can cut several boards. Depends on the size you need. They work Great!!!
    What are you buying at the Dollar Store? I am confused. But curious!

I use magazine boards. They are a bit larger (and maybe stiffer?) They are the perfect size and I use one per fabric. They measure 8 1/2 x 11. I keep an old rotary cutter with a used blade and cut some in half to 4 1/2 x 11 for smaller than 2 yard pieces. I buy mine on Ebay which saves me time, energy, and money.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (The average freezer can hold approximately 326 fat quarters - The Guilty Quilter)

I eat, I sleep, I quilt, I eat, I sleep, I quilt... awwwww retirement! I earned it, I deserve it, I'm lovin' it!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    What are you buying at the Dollar Store? I am confused. But curious!
    interested to know is it $1.00 a pack?

I have recycled the cardboard bolts that the fabric is wrapped on by the fabric manufacturer. I need to find something else to use since the closet doors in this apt are a little under 22" in depth (size of bolts are usually 22"). Thanks for posting this question.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Folded and on the shelf is what I do, also. I was having trouble with my stacks leaning (have one very deep shelf) so I bought, also at the $ store or at a discount store, aluminum, disposable cookie sheets....stand those vertically between your stacks for stability!!!! Works wonderfully....and who knows? Someday i might make cookies! (nah--not until I can't hold a needle or push the foot pedal! )

I bought the plastic ones and like them fine (just not the cost). I also use the Dollar Tree foam boards and cut my own. I used the leftover pieces to wrap my FQ's on!
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    I do this too and keep the fabric in drawers. As pretty as fabric filled bookshelves are, my house gets dusty too fast to risk the fabric getting dingy.

I also use comic boards that are acid-free. I purchased them in lots of 500. I have all of my yardage fabric (except fabric that's more like a bolt) folded on comic boards. Instead of having them standing up, I folded my fabrics the other direction. That way, I can get more on my shelving units.

I ruler fold, then stand my fabric on the shelf like the comic board users do. My shelves are 12" deep so I use my 8 1/2" wide ruler to fold on. Works great and I can get a lot more fabric on a shelf. I do have 2 pieces of cardboard that I use to open a place to put new fabric in. I can't see wasting space and money to leave folded fabric on. Just try different ways and do what works for you.
    Shirley in Arizona

I have always used the acrylic one from Polar Notions. They are wonderful and worth the long-term investment. They hold several yards of fabric, never bend, and the edges will not wear/tear like cardboard ones do. I know they cost more than the cardboard but they are well worth it IMHO.
    Miss Rita

I have been given the plastic advertising signs for businesses then cut them up for my boards, I also ruler fold a lot of my fabric these two methods sure take a lot less room.

I bought some comic book boards. Had my fabric all stacked up neatly in my totes, and could flip thru them like a filing system. Then I would pull out my fabric to use it. After a while, it got to be just too much trouble to keep refolding it. Also, since my stash is not all that large, my fabric fits nicely into the totes by just folding the pieces.
    SittingPretty

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    interested to know is it $1.00 a pack?
    I think she's buying foamcore board. Someone else once posted that that is what she uses.
    SittingPretty

I have fat quarters folded in the shoe cubbies, more material than that is on the comic boards. and long lengths of fabric is on acid free foam boards I cut the same size as the cardboard bolts from the stores.

yel
    Blog Entries
    someone gave me a few of those plastic ones i use them......i fold my pieces of fabric around them then slide them out so all fabric is folded in 3 sizes ...small one ....med one for around 2 yards and then i got a big one and flat folded [like they ruler fold but the board is the width of the shelf] the shelf is neat ...somewhat color organized ...but nothing gets lost you can see it all...

Quote Originally Posted by SittingPretty View Post
    I think she's buying foamcore board. Someone else once posted that that is what she uses.
    That's what I use from Dollar Tree, the foam boards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast