View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 05:05 AM
cmcnab

Default Starting Search for New Machine!

Since getting back into quilting last spring, I have discovered some of the limitations of my current machines. I started using my old New Home/Janome MX3123 which sews well even though it is not a computerized machine. Then I decided to try sewing on my "baby" Brother 270D- I had only ever used the embroidery unit- and love the way it stitches! However, I am now starting to do some of my quilting by machine and it is just too small to do anything much bigger than a table runner plus it has an awkward thread cassette that is really starting to annoy me!

I realize everyone is different and there are lots of opinions about machines, but what features should I be looking for since I am new to machine quilting and want to learn to do some FMQ? Besides the throat space and needle up/down are there other features that make machine quilting with walking foot and FMQ easier? I know I would like a good stitch selection, including a blanket stitch and maybe some heirloom type stitches for applique and other sewing. I have a Brother 770 for embroidery so I do not need a combo machine. Actually I have been very pleased with my Brother machines and serger so a Brother might be my first choice, but I am open to looking at other brands. I'd like to stay in the $3,000-4,000 range but could probably go up if the machine was right!
I appreciate any suggestions or recommendations!

Carol