Old 11-08-2016, 02:17 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
I was at a retreat this last weekend and a Bernina dealer was there. She was sewing next to me. She had the top of the line 830 Bernina. Her thread kept breaking. She said I can't use Aurifil on my Bernina, it doesn't like it and that is the thread I packed not thinking about the machine I was bringing. I said I thought Aurifil was one of the best threads. She said it is but the new high end Bernina's sew at their best with poly thread.
FruitLoop ... whooooooaaaa!!!!!! .... I have a Bernina 820 and no problems using Aurifil for FMQing or regular seam work. Any thread will shred IF you are trying to move too much too fast, which ultimately if the thread does not shred, your needle will bend and eventually snap. You could do worse damage to your machine, should that happen, so better that the thread shreds/break. Aurifil is my thread of choice, and when I have my machine serviced, the techy sets it up with Aurifil. He has no problems with that and in fact suggested that it be done that way, and to remind him each time. If not, then I need to adjust the tension more as the Bernina standards are set to Mettler threads. Being that my most used is Aurifil, I would sooner have it set for that, and then do my adjustments when I switch out to Mettler or any other thread type and weight.

OklahomaMom... I know that you mentioned that it is handquilting thread that you are using but are you hand quilting? or machine quilting with it?I am not familiar with their handquilting thread, but see above re my FMQing comments re Aurifil thread. I will say that for the regular cotton 50 wt Aurifil thread, I do not use it for handstitching the bindings as in order to keep a good tight stitch, I often find the thread breaks. I blame that on my tuggability (word? ) combined with the sharpness of the eye of the needle cutting it.