View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 06:33 AM
Teacup

I have two grandkids who appreciate homemade gifts and their quilts. When GD was in first grade she was "star of the day" and got to bring in something special to show the class. She selected her baby quilt, which I pieced, and it was hand quilted by her other grandmother, grandfather and great grandmother. She took it because so many people loved her enough to make it for her. That quilt is my avatar. (There's another story behind it that I won't go into, involving a fire just weeks before she was born but the quilt was saved from the nursery...I'm emotional about that quilt too!)

Just a few weeks ago her brother turned 8 and he has grown out of juvenile pirate theme for his room from toddler years and is into superheros. They are gradually adding superheros to his room. I sent him some wall decorations. He told his mom he is excited about it, but said, "I'll keep the pirate quilt, because Grandma made it for me." That wams my heart, but I know he has outgrown it. There will be a new Batman comfortor under the Christmas tree from me. I'm going to tell him he can continue to use the pirate quilt on cold nights, but it doesn't have to be his main decoration. I figure he'll be out the superhero phase by junior high and I'll tackle a bit more grown-up quilt in the future.