Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm still glowing >

I'm still glowing

I'm still glowing

Old 12-21-2016, 09:34 PM

Default I'm still glowing

My daughter, SIL & 3 children are the recipient of many of my quilts. They have moved often and owned double, queen, twins, & cribs, that "needed" quilts. Then there were tummy times, couches, reading corner, and new baby needs as they grew. Nothing abnormal for quilters with our addiction.......but,

One of my daughter's friends dropped by and was given a tour of her fixer upper home her husband is slowly working on. Trying to brag on her new master bath that was gutted and totally remolded to very upscale standards, she shows her friend, "ta da" seeking a compliment. What she got from her friend was, "heck with the bathroom, who is the quilter in your family, your bed is gorgeous, and even your children's beds are spectacular."

I guess it looks that way to non-quilters......but I am still glowing.....

Any of you want to share your unexpected flattery stories?

Last edited by Jane Quilter; 12-21-2016 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-2016, 09:39 PM

I'd be glowing too! I have only made ONE quilt (lap size) for my house. All the rest I've made and given away. None of my kids or hubby has requested one yet. Time to remedy the sitch. Glad you got the compliment of all compliments!
Old 12-21-2016, 11:15 PM

I'm always a bit surprised when I find out a baby blanket I make becomes "the" blankie. Especially when it is one that I threw together because I needed something quick.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:39 PM

I've given a couple of quilts to relatives who were having health issues. They were both very appreciative and I occasionally see the quilts being used in photos they share. To me that's a compliment. Also, the quick quilt I made for my granddaughter has become her favorite. Once when we were visiting she showed it to DH and said, "Grandpa, did you know Grandma made me this quilt?"
Old 12-22-2016, 01:37 AM

I have given each of our 5 grandchildren quilts I have made. Over the years I have made them new ones to replace the first ones I have made. What warms my heart is when we moved the grandchildren into dorm life at college those first quilts I made went on their beds. Then 3 years ago our oldest granddaughter made us great grandparents for the first time. She sent us a picture of the new baby from the hospital and in the background, thrown over the bedside table was that first quilt I had made her. When I give these quilts to the kids I tell them to use them and I will replace them when they are worn out.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:48 AM

When my DGS was young he would bring his friends from my neighborhood over and tour the house showing off grandma's quilts
Old 12-22-2016, 04:37 AM

Great stories, gals. They warm my heart...... I never thought about the longevity of these quilts, but the kids do.And of course, the best poster on this subject can be seen on my pinterest site:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/440930619753052938/
Old 12-22-2016, 05:03 AM

It is such a good feeling when our work is noticed, I'm glad you got to hear the appreciation!

The first quilt I made, a full-sized courthouse steps, was for my mother. She and my father had it framed (!) and it still hangs in their house today. When my father died and there were relatives and strangers roaming the house several times I'd find people standing and staring at the quilt, and talking about it. There isn't a visible label so they didn't know it was mine, and I'll always remember the impact it had on them, even on that awful day. I always itched to go back and "fix" it before, but I don't anymore. I remember the experience when I'm having a "nobody riding by on a horse 20 feet away will notice this mistake" day.

My sister once told me she felt like her kids were "growing up wrapped in (my) love" because of the quilts I've made them. My six-year-old niece sleeps with ALL of her quilts on her bed; my four-year-old nephew won't sleep at all without at least one lately, and no ordinary blanket will do.

I don't know what I've done to deserve such an amazing family but I'll keep them! <3
Old 12-22-2016, 06:34 AM

I made my MIL two big lap quilts. She called and thanked me for them, which is all I expected. I wasn't her favorite DIL. I found out later that she bragged to anybody that visited her about the two lap quilts I made "just for her." When I was up there just before she passed away, she couldn't see well anymore, and hadn't seen me in a yr. she showed me the two quilts telling me who made them. When I said I was glad that she liked what I made her, she said Oh, your the one, I guess you do love me. It was a good feeling for my DH and me that she did like the quilts.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:00 AM

Even though most of us don't make quilts for the recognition, it still feels really great to get it. My Dad took his quilt made from his bowling shirts with him to Hospice. I live out of state and wasn't there to help plan his funeral but I was very surprised to find that quilt displayed next to his casket. That meant that my SIL thought it was worthy to be there. Since she and I aren't close, that meant a lot to me. Maybe I should make her a quilt.