View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 PM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I've not made a large number of quilts -- I'm just a newbie. I will say this, I am asthmatic, and the spray basting is absolutely out of the question. I'm still learning, but have had no problems with pin basting. Of course, I am generous with the pins! Whatever method you decide to use, sandwiching the quilt is the hardest part of making a quilt JMHO! I have qualms about the glue-basting -- first of all, washing a quilt (especially king size) is not something I would want to do in my domestic washing machine. The only laundromat with the giant-sized washers is clear across town (about 25 miles one-way) and those machines are very expensive to use. I am currently working on a project to make sandwiching very easy -- let's home it works!
Jeanette, I understand your concerns, regarding spray basting and your lungs!! Nothing worth risking a bad reaction. I'm curious, though, that you don't wash your quilts when they are done? Or ever? Or just that you don't want to take them to the laundromat at some point? Anyway, I don't have any asthma or sensitivity to scents, but, just don't like spray basting. And I'm not enamored with the Sharon Shamber board method, even after watching her videos, so I'm "sticking with" the glue, haha. And, I agree, whatever works for us is what we should use. One size does not fit all in the quilting world!!