View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 05:46 AM
bkay

Tscweaves, bennie and JediMom, You know that and I know that, but my friend doesn't know that and would not likely believe it (a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion, still). When ladies of her age purchased machines, they were told to have the Singer man come out and service them. It was an opportunity for the Singer man to make some money and maybe sell a new machine. That's just the way it was done back then.

My mom was the same way. Her husband told me that she had the OSMG out to "service" her 15-91, not too long before she died, which would have been sometime in the mid to late 90's. (Mother did not really sew anything past an occasional hem.) When I got the machine, I cleaned and oiled it. The grease cups had not been filled in a long while (maybe never). So the "service" call was of no value to the sewing machine.

I don't think it's really about servicing the machine. She'd love to have the machine in her apartment, but either her son won't bring it or she won't ask. (I can't lift the whole machine.) Having it serviced is a good excuse to bring part of it to her house. She has the money. It gives her something to worry about besides her health. It gives her an excuse to get me to take her to the country. She feels like she's taking care of her grandmother's memory and it won't hurt the machine.

If I take some kind of dolly, I should be able to get the head to the service man. It will make her happy. I'll get to spend the day with her. I'll also get to see what kind of machine it is. I've been curious ever since I got interested in old machines.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 06-17-2017 at 05:57 AM.