Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
More modern treadles - 2 questions >

More modern treadles - 2 questions

More modern treadles - 2 questions

Old 06-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Default More modern treadles - 2 questions

I have a good friend who has her grandmother's Singer treadle. It's at her house in the country. I've wanted to see it, but the last time we were at the farm, the machine had a TV on top of it and we couldn't lift the TV. She said her grandmother bought it new it in the early 50's. She wanted a new machine, but had always sewed on a treadle and didn't want to change.

She wants me to help her bring the head up here to have it serviced. Yes, I know it probably just needs oiling, but having it serviced makes her happy and she has an adequate income to do whatever she wants. She asked me if I knew how to get it out of the cabinet. I said sure, I knew how and we could do it next time we went to the country.

I have never messed with a treadle. How do you get the belt off? Is there anything else that's different than any other machine?

She's advanced in age and and not well, so I'd like to do this in the very near future.

I'm thinking it's probably a 66, 15 or 201 given the time frame. Am I guessing correctly?

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 06-14-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 AM

At the top of the treadle fly wheel is a lever, treadle the machine and push the lever and it will throw the belt. In all probability if the machine has been kept indoors, all it needs is a good oiling and some treadling. That is all the servicing these machines really need. My 15-88 treadle is the same as my moms 15-91 except mine has a treadle and no light and hers has a motor and a light. These basic machines are pretty much the same, they just need sm oil.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:17 AM

To get the belt OFF, you have to remove the connecting staple.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:00 AM

I agree with the oiling and a good cleaning. It probably could use a new belt too. That would be a must if she wants to actually use it for something other than an entertainment center.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:44 AM

Also, don't forget to oil and clean the treadle irons as well. That's just as important! Good luck!!
Old 06-17-2017, 05:46 AM

Tscweaves, bennie and JediMom, You know that and I know that, but my friend doesn't know that and would not likely believe it (a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion, still). When ladies of her age purchased machines, they were told to have the Singer man come out and service them. It was an opportunity for the Singer man to make some money and maybe sell a new machine. That's just the way it was done back then.

My mom was the same way. Her husband told me that she had the OSMG out to "service" her 15-91, not too long before she died, which would have been sometime in the mid to late 90's. (Mother did not really sew anything past an occasional hem.) When I got the machine, I cleaned and oiled it. The grease cups had not been filled in a long while (maybe never). So the "service" call was of no value to the sewing machine.

I don't think it's really about servicing the machine. She'd love to have the machine in her apartment, but either her son won't bring it or she won't ask. (I can't lift the whole machine.) Having it serviced is a good excuse to bring part of it to her house. She has the money. It gives her something to worry about besides her health. It gives her an excuse to get me to take her to the country. She feels like she's taking care of her grandmother's memory and it won't hurt the machine.

If I take some kind of dolly, I should be able to get the head to the service man. It will make her happy. I'll get to spend the day with her. I'll also get to see what kind of machine it is. I've been curious ever since I got interested in old machines.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 06-17-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:03 AM

If the owner insist on it, I supose it's her decision. You could persuade her to do a bit of cleaning and test sewing before it's sent to service? Service guys usually don't like basic clean up and polishing (even if that's all it needs LOL). If the manual is still with the machine, it's obvious the owner should have a regular maintantance routine.

I hope all home services weren't as bad as with your mothers machine bkay, so unfair. A customer needs to know everything not to get cheated. It's the same today unfortuately, and we never really do ;- )

40 years on I suppose the grease and wicks would need a clean out anyhow. Companies are stubbern though, only to use "Singer oil" "Singer motor lubricant", original parts. There is something to it though, I like it better when an old machine has all it's original parts and accessories.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:03 AM

If you were here, I know a really good lady who works on sewing machines. Nothing newer than than 1970, I think. She does as much as you want her to. She also runs a shop where she buys refurbishes and sells old machines. She does some awesome work and loves treadles and hand cranks.

My mom was the same about her machine. She never even oiled the 301. My dad did it for her. I took it in for her once after he died. If I had looked at it and realized how simple the oiling would have been, I would have done it myself. Also, the machine is really clean inside and out and oiling is about all it needed. I kept it in my spare bedroom for 10+ years and only got it out after joining QB and hearing people talking about how much they liked older machines. I got it out and took the top off and was amazed at how clean it was inside. I know my mom always kept it in the case in the house and took good care of it. She was a child of the depression and in her world you got one good machine in your life and made it last. I"m grateful now that she was that way. I have a beautiful 301a in my sewing room. The one that she sewed my clothes on and I learned to sew on.