View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 08:03 AM
cashs_mom

If you were here, I know a really good lady who works on sewing machines. Nothing newer than than 1970, I think. She does as much as you want her to. She also runs a shop where she buys refurbishes and sells old machines. She does some awesome work and loves treadles and hand cranks.

My mom was the same about her machine. She never even oiled the 301. My dad did it for her. I took it in for her once after he died. If I had looked at it and realized how simple the oiling would have been, I would have done it myself. Also, the machine is really clean inside and out and oiling is about all it needed. I kept it in my spare bedroom for 10+ years and only got it out after joining QB and hearing people talking about how much they liked older machines. I got it out and took the top off and was amazed at how clean it was inside. I know my mom always kept it in the case in the house and took good care of it. She was a child of the depression and in her world you got one good machine in your life and made it last. I"m grateful now that she was that way. I have a beautiful 301a in my sewing room. The one that she sewed my clothes on and I learned to sew on.