View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 04:51 PM
ProudGranny5

I made 2 twin size quilts from old jeans that were 6" square for my son and daughter when they were 5 and 3. I really didn't know what I was doing as those were the first 2 quilts I ever made. I used cardboard from the old "All" laundry detergent boxes. Husband was laid off, so money was tight.
I sewed light and dark pieces together, nothing fancy. For the backing I used a blue sheet blanket and a yellow sheet blanket that my kids had. For the batting, my mom had given me 2 old electric blankets that didn't work anymore and pulled the cords out .
I used green yarn to tie my son's quilt and pink yarn for my daughter's quilt. My husband's grandmother showed me how to do what she called "the hillbilly blind stitch" and handsewed the hem all around the quilts. The quilts are still intact, but one mistake I made...I used all the jean that I could use...even the worn. :-( Mistake that I never did after, so I need to repatch the rips and the kids still want their quilts. They are 34 and 32.
Hope this mistake of mine as a new self taught beginner will help all new quilters.
I have totes and bags of old jeans that I have saved over the years and someday plan to make a king size jean quilt for our bed. I will be putting 4 zippers in it to zip it apart to wash and dry it...that way my washer isn't overloaded as I know this will be a heavy one.

I also made a full size quilt from my mother in law's old polyester clothes. I used 5" squares for that one. Believe it or not....it is still in use and very warm. My husband says it is the ugliest thing he ever saw...LOL... with all the wild colors and material patterns.

Below you will see a quilt that I made for my 1st grandchild. Needless to say...it wasn't taken care of and will soon start the process of a new bigger one for her. When I get a few other unfinished quilts done. So much to do...so little time in a day.

I have 2 other sets of twins to make blue jean quilts for as well. All in time...all in time! They just turned 5 and 4.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-18188.jpe