View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 01:42 PM
quiltingshorttimer

No Way! I approach quilting that each quilt lets me learn something new--whether a new technique, a new "don't do this!", or something else--that's one of the things I really, really like about quilting--it's easy to get variety and creativity--neither which are perfectionism!

I have a friend that is admittedly a perfectionist and when she thinks she may be entering a quilt into competition (which is all except her charity quilts) she will strive for perfection and says she will unsew 3x and after that she recuts the block. Her quilts are wonderful and show that. But I'm not really into show quilting.

P.S. I rue the day that we started to use OCD as a label of perfectionism. Obsessive/Complusive Disorder is not perfectionism--it's when someone has obsessive thoughts (i.e I'm afraid I'll kill my parent in their sleep, or everything I touch is contaminated, etc) that can only be relieved by some compulsive act--like washing hands a set number of times, touching a certain spot on the wall a set number of times, re-tying shoes a set number of times, etc. Sorry I'm being nitpicky--but it's a pet peeve from a mental health professional.