View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 09:59 AM
Quilter 53

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original Handi-Quilter "frame" was a portable version that you used with your DSM. You had rails that you taped to your counter top or table and set your DSM on the trolley (my name for it). In fact this is the system I use, but with a lot of DIY improvements. The rails have been upgraded to metal not plastic, mounted on a permanent table, counter top formica covered, and the aluminum rods now have wooden dowls through them. Yes, with my Brother 1300 on it, my throat space is limited, but I have done a queen size quilt on it. I did one half of the quilt and then removed it from the frame and rotated it to do the other side. I was doing the Baptist Fan pattern. Tricky but doable. Since I'm only quilting for myself and I don't enter my quilts in shows or the fair, it's a cheap solution to owning a LA. I keep my quilting lines simple, a meander or echo stitch, no feathers for me! I find it easier to FMQ by moving my machine vs moving my quilt. Like everything else in quilting, practice, practice, practice.