View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 10:48 AM
SewingMunchkin

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
I have a Viking Emerald 183 it looks more like the Opal than the new Emeralds. I got it about 6 years ago and it's been a good machine with few problems. One thing I don't like (don't know if it's the same for the Opal) is how the backstitch works. You don't just push and hold the button to sew in reverse, you push the button it takes a stitch or 2 then starts to back up, then you push the button again to go forward, and it takes a stitch or 2 before going forward.

I recently bought the Sparrow 30 and I'm really enjoying that. I like the thread cutter and it has a button and you can actually sew without the pedal. It's also a little lighter than my Viking for taking to classes. Down side, it doesn't come with a hard plastic cover but for the price difference I can get a rolling tote from JoAnn's at half price. I posted this in August and you will see other responses. I have a pretty new bird!

Hopefully you'll have an opportunity to sew on both before making your decision. Any by the way, welcome to the Quilt Board!
How well does the sparrow 30 handle bulkier fabric?