Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to purchase a new sewing machine

Looking to purchase a new sewing machine

I am looking at purchasing a new sewing machine around Christmas time. Right now I am looking at the Husqvarna Viking Opal 650 but I am also intrigued by the Eversewn Sparrow 30 and its price. Does anyone have experience with the Eversewn machine?

A Little background:

I started out sewing on a super old Kenmore that had been passed down to me from my great grandmother. I loved that sewing machine but it eventually died and I have been using my brother embroidery/sewing machine and have gotten quite used to all the bells and whistles it has. I use my machine every single day and mainly sew multiple layers of fleece. While my brother has done well, I would like something with more power.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about either of the two machines you mention.

For sheer power, I don't think you can go wrong with a Bernina - but they are $$$
    As much as I hate it, my seam ripper is my best friend.

I bought the Husqvarna Opal 690Q in March and I am very happy with it. I love how the foot pedal can be used to raise and lower the presser foot. I don’t remember if the Opal 650 had that feature, but in any case, I think the Opals really sew nicely and have a little more workspace than my old machine.

I don't have the Opal but do have an older Viking (@ 15 yrs - computerized) and absolutely love it. No issues whatsoever in the entire time I have owned the machine. So far the only thing I've found that it won't sew through is 5 layers of boat canvas!

Blog Entries
    I have a 17 year old Husky - Quilter 525. Never had any problems with it, and hope I don't have to buy another one - I hate learning a new machine.

I would buy the viking, they have been around longer
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I have had a Bernina record for 36 years and 3 years ago my sweet husband bought me a new larger computerized Bernina that I love. The problem was it did not fit in the built in cabinet in my utility room where I did/do most of my sewing (while I do laundry). So I bought the eversewn 25 for under $400. It is a nice enough machine but I have trouble sewing over seams while piecing. It frustrates me that it moves off of 1/4 inch or hangs up when going over a previous seam. I now run up stairs to use my Bernina all the time. Getting lots of exercise. I’d buy the Viking if I were you.

While I can not comment on either machine as I have not sewn on either, I do have some advice about purchasing as I worked for Viking Husquavarna for a couple of years.

If you are looking at new machines, do not hesitate to try and negotiate the sticker price. If they are firm on their price, haggle for extra feet, single hole needle plate etc ... They make good machines but I will tell you Pfaff (with their IDT option), Babylock and Bernina (which is pricy) do as well. I am a Pfaff fan because of the IDT (integrated dual feed) which is excellent on multiple thick layers.

If you are a seasoned sewer and can learn the machine from the users manual, you might look on craigslist. There are a lot of excellent machines out there that are almost brand new at a lower cost than purchasing new. If you do look at used machines, bring with you some scrap fleece so you get a sense of how the machine handles the thicknesses you sew through. I have bought my last three machines off of Craigslist with great luck.

Good luck in your search!!
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I am a Viking owner, have been since 1975, have loved them all, from my first 6040, to my Epic. So I guess I would say get the Viking!!!!

I love the Eversewn 30! I sewed on one at a class and it was like sewing on my Bernina. I really couldn't tell any difference in the feed or the stitch from my Bernina. For the price it sure beats all the other newer machines out there for me. The Eversewn Hero does machine embroidery.
    I love my life!

Blog Entries
    First good report on a Kenmore that I've seen on this site. I've had my Kenmore since the 70s and it has never been serviced (outside) or repaired, and it's still my favorite go-to machine. I think it was actually made by Brother for the Sears stores but at a fraction of the price of other Brothers.

I love my Janome 6600 and my Janome Magnolia 7330 I recommend them all of the time

I really did love my kenmore, it served me well for a very long time. It was an utter pain to thread the bobbin but could handle multiple layers of fabric with no problem at all. I did attempt to get it repaired but the shops around me were not very knowledgeable about kenmore machines and my machine came back even slower then it went in so I retired her.

I am really looking for a machine under $800 and I am open to other suggestions. One of my biggest problems is finding a dealer in my area. The Pfaff machines were really drawing me in with their IDT option but the nearest dealer to me is an hour away so I have marked them off of my list. If I ever needed to get my machine repaired or if I drove all the way there and fell in love with a machine they didn't have in stock, I would have to drive an hour there and back every time I needed to visit the dealer.

There are a ton of husqavarna dealers inside of Joanns around me but since they are all inside of Joanns I am not sure that they will be open to negotiations on price/ extras?

There is a quilt shop semi close by that sells brother and babylock machines but I cannot find the prices for the babylock machines online to know if these would be in my price range.

There is also a Bernina dealer close by but again I cant find the prices for these machines to know if any of them would be in my price range.

I would prefer to buy new if possible just because I am terrified of buying used and having the machine break down on me.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthiesRetreat3 View Post
    First good report on a Kenmore that I've seen on this site. I've had my Kenmore since the 70s and it has never been serviced (outside) or repaired, and it's still my favorite go-to machine. I think it was actually made by Brother for the Sears stores but at a fraction of the price of other Brothers.
    I have a Kenmore(computerized) that I got in the early 90's that I really like but about 5 years ago I tried a Babylock Espire and fell in love with the auto up-down feature and the auto thread cutter(sure saves on the thread mess). I still go back to the Kenmore though, especially for decorative stitches as I really am not impressed with the decorative stitches on the Babylock. Also my Kenmore handles really thick layers better. I was told at the time that the Kenmore was made by Janome(New Home). The Sears items, including appliances, rotate between manufacturers I think.
    Sally

I’ve been reading about Eversewn and am considering buying one . They seem very nice.

I have heard great things about the Eversewn machines but I hesitate to purchase one mainly because they are so affordable and a newer brand with not a lot of feedback. There is also not one I can test out anywhere near me and I really donít want to end up with a machine that isnít any better than what I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingMunchkin View Post
    I am looking at purchasing a new sewing machine around Christmas time. Right now I am looking at the Husqvarna Viking Opal 650 but I am also intrigued by the Eversewn Sparrow 30 and its price. Does anyone have experience with the Eversewn machine?
    I have a Viking Emerald 183 it looks more like the Opal than the new Emeralds. I got it about 6 years ago and it's been a good machine with few problems. One thing I don't like (don't know if it's the same for the Opal) is how the backstitch works. You don't just push and hold the button to sew in reverse, you push the button it takes a stitch or 2 then starts to back up, then you push the button again to go forward, and it takes a stitch or 2 before going forward.

I recently bought the Sparrow 30 and I'm really enjoying that. I like the thread cutter and it has a button and you can actually sew without the pedal. It's also a little lighter than my Viking for taking to classes. Down side, it doesn't come with a hard plastic cover but for the price difference I can get a rolling tote from JoAnn's at half price. I posted this in August and you will see other responses. https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...d-t290708.html

Hopefully you'll have an opportunity to sew on both before making your decision. Any by the way, welcome to the Quilt Board!
    Sue

I have a Viking Tribute 140. I absolutely love it. The one thing I don't like is that it seems to have a hard time with bulky seams. Only an issue for me when I make bags so its not a huge deal. I use my daughters machine. A cheap brother machine with no bells and whistles but it can handle it. The thing I love about this one is it automatically puts the presser down for you. When you stop with the needle down it raises and I can pivot so easily. I do a lot of machine applique and its a time saver. I never have an issue with tension and I can wind bobbins right from the needle so I don't have to re-thread my machine.

I was looking at the Pfaff Ambition essential for a while as well but read that it also had issues with the reverse stitch. I really hope that the Husqvarna doesnít have an issue with this as well. I will have to test it at the store to make sure.

I do love the idea of being able to wind the bobbin without having to rethread QuiltyReese!

Quote Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
    I have a Viking Emerald 183 it looks more like the Opal than the new Emeralds. I got it about 6 years ago and it's been a good machine with few problems. One thing I don't like (don't know if it's the same for the Opal) is how the backstitch works. You don't just push and hold the button to sew in reverse, you push the button it takes a stitch or 2 then starts to back up, then you push the button again to go forward, and it takes a stitch or 2 before going forward.

I recently bought the Sparrow 30 and I'm really enjoying that. I like the thread cutter and it has a button and you can actually sew without the pedal. It's also a little lighter than my Viking for taking to classes. Down side, it doesn't come with a hard plastic cover but for the price difference I can get a rolling tote from JoAnn's at half price. I posted this in August and you will see other responses. https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...d-t290708.html

Hopefully you'll have an opportunity to sew on both before making your decision. Any by the way, welcome to the Quilt Board!
    How well does the sparrow 30 handle bulkier fabric?

Lots of quilt shops have the Eversewn machines. I'd buy from Amazon. Easy free return if you don't like it. My last two machines I bought new from Amazon. Both were shipped from the machine manufacturer with full warranty and I saved the mark up price of the dealer. I didn't need lessons for these machines.

I remember some years back the high end Kenmore was rated number 1 by many consumer groups for features and ease of use. I want to say it was named the Rose. Not sure though. The same company made New Home and then Janome.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 10-12-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    I love my life!

I purchased my current machine from amazon as well, Iíve never had any problems with it or needed to repair it. Amazon doesnít carry Husqvarna, Pfaff or bernina though, I would need to purchase those from a dealer. They do carry Juki and janome though but Iím not sure which models are the best.

Iím really looking for a machine that has adjustable pressure foot pressure, good feed dogs, a bigger harp space, needle threader, automatic needle cutter if I can get it and good lighting would be a plus so I didnít have to use an additional light source all the time.

I love my BabyLock Elizabeth which I paid $900 for several years ago. I'm not sure tho if they even still make them. My friend recently bought a BabyLock Katheryn for $900 also. We both love our machines! I enjoy buying (or being given) used machines, cleaning them up, oiling them, making sure they run well and then finding a new home for them. Brothers and Kenmores are what I find most. They are excellent machines. Even the older ones. An old Janome came through my hands once and she was a great working machine. Sorry I don't remember model numbers.
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:6

I have used Pfaffs for years, I also have aViking and a Janome, I prefer the Pfaffs for the Idt and have been able to sew whatever I have wanted on them.

Quote Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
    I have used Pfaffs for years, I also have aViking and a Janome, I prefer the Pfaffs for the Idt and have been able to sew whatever I have wanted on them.
    I was really interested in the Pfaff Ambition Essential but I do a lot of top stitching and I am not sure I can give up my auto thread cut feature. It makes things so much easier and I feel like it saves me a lot of thread as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast